Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY turbo set ups

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Jul 14, 2006.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I just got a call back from Banks and they said no problem about buying their turbo exhaust manifold and crossover pipe. I just aquired a GM5 turbo and 6.5 turbo intake manifold. Was wondering if I used the Banks exhaust manifold, would I still be able to use the stock 6.5 intake?

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The intake usually isn't that much of a problem. Usually the air is blown through some sort of "hat" to the manifold. IIRC the factory uses some sort of split intake manifold (at least it looks like that on the HMMWV or van -with rear mounted turbo). I still use the aluminum hat that came with the ATS kit. At some point I'll fab something alittle prettier. :D

3. 86dieselburb

Thanks Dan. I was mostly wondering if the Banks manifold would allow for proper alignment if I used a 6.5 intake. On the 6.5 set-up there is a 3-4 inch hose that connects the turbo to the intake and its pretty much a straight shot to the intake. I know the Banks set-up has the turbo in a different position. Was wondering if anybody has gone this route and if it was a similar fit.

4. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Could you use a muffler pipe as an adapter? Stainless and a little paint? I know Banks Sidewinder Kit you have to dump or mod the AC housing. Stock turbo of course fits. I'm going to guess they don't line up and you'll have to use something more than the silicone hose.:(

5. 86dieselburb

From what I understand it's the Banks turbo set up that fits without modification and the 6.5 turbo retro that you have to lose or modify the heater/AC box, atleast on the 73-91 trucks you do. Thats the whole reason I was thinking about using the Banks turbo exhaust manifold so I could keep the stock heater/AC setup.

But I do like the exhaust pipe idea to connect the turbo to the intake.

I guess if one was too use an intercooler, the line-up wouldn't matter anyways.

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Well, ya got me if it's the Banks or GM Retro:confused::confused::confused:

You can also shorten the intake tube for a better curve on the adaptor pipe.

7. tnscrambler

tnscrambler Newbie

Yes, you can use the banks manifold, however you will have to make your own connector piping from the turbo to the intake "hat".

You are also correct in that you will not have to modify ac components when using the banks manifold.....but, you would have to if you used the factory 6.5 manifold on the older trucks.

I was going to do the same thing on an '89 burban I had since I'm not sacrificing my ac for a turbo;)

Justin

8. 86dieselburb

Thanks for the info Justin. Never did like the idea of losing the factory A/C. This sounds like a much better way.

9. 86dieselburb

Ok, picked up the Banks turbo exhaust manifold today and either they changed the design or I got some bad info. I read a post here from a while back that said the GM turbos do fit. The Banks manifold I just got, wont work. The GM5 turbo exhaust outlet dumps on the exhaust manifold runners. The turbo to exhaust manifold mating surface is the same dimension wise, so techinally it does fit...kinda..lol

Even if the turbo exhaust did dump away from the manifold runners, the GM turbo to manifold mating area is studded and so is the banks manifold. So one or the other needs to be drilled out. And the opposite end where the nuts would need to go would have to be machined. The way the castings are on the Banks exhaust manifold or GM turbo, they would need some machining to make a flat place for the nuts. But realy donest matter since the manifold
    Expensive learning experience :doah:

Time to regroup I guess.

Anybody have any ideas?

Edit: Looked around a bit and may not be that big of a problem. I found a good pic of a banks manifold and it puts the manifold low on the motor. Maybe I could fab up an adapter that would put the turbo higher up on the motor. That might get the turbo downpipe away from the exhaust manifold runners.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/153303040/1153304206029465272wIJNaK

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  10. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

You guy's have been talking about A/C mod with you install the Banks turbo?

I had a Banks system on my 6.2 CrewCab ,the mod was to the frame a small pie cut about 1/2 . The turbo set low at the frame not at the A/C .

I don't have any pics to show that set up.

11. 86dieselburb

Never really heard anything about the Banks set-up needing modifications. Thought it was a bolt and go. Now the retro 6.5 in our years trucks, heard plenty about the A/C heater box needing some modding.

Let me ask you a question, since you have the banks set up. Is it possible to move the turbo up and out some? I need to clear the exhaust down pipe. Is there enough room to do this? In order for me to use a GM5 turbo, I figure thats the only way to make it work. Gonna have to fab up an adapter. Found several flange suppliers to get pre-cut flanges to make the adapter. So that shouldnt be a problem as long as there is room enough to move the turbo.

12. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

13. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was told that people have been using the 6.5 turbo setup and keeping the stock a/c by making a spacer between the manifold and turbo that tilts it out of the way. I am building a whole new engine and this is what I am going to try. If not you can replace the ac housing with an s-10 ac housing. I am not sure what year but that was my back up plan. Either wayu they both will take work and research. I will try to make a write up or at least have picture when I do mine.

14. 86dieselburb

Yes, I have that bookmarked. Good info. He used a larger turbo from a Banks Ford kit. Thoses turbos have the exhaust outlet pointing straight out, which would make it a whole lot easier to make work. Me, I had to do things the hard way by using a GM5 turbo which has a 90 degree down turn for the exhaust outlet. Puts the exhaust right where the exhaust manifold runners are. Just gonna have to make an extensiion of sorts to move the turbo up and away from the motor, but it should still be a viable option.

15. 86dieselburb

What turbo exhaust manifold are you using?

16. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am using the stock factory setup from a 6.5 turbo diesel. I will have to get the crossover pipe and stuff from the turbo back made, but it will be 3-4inch. I won't be ready to install the turbo untill december though:(. So if you find a good way to do it be sure to post up.

17. 86dieselburb

Sounds like we will end up doing the same thing just with different turbo exhaust manifolds.

I found a couple places to get turbo and exhaust flanges

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/verociousmotorsports/Flanges%20and%20Gaskets/Turbo/

http://www.spdexhaust.com/