Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY4X beadlock install...dialup beware...LOTS of pictures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 8, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

A buddy and I just finished installing the DIY4x beadlock kit. I ordered the "mudlock" set with the wider outer ring. Looks better than the narrower style I think, and I don't really like all the different designs. These look nice and clean to me. I used 1.5x3/8" grade 8 flange bolts and centerlock grade 8 all steel lock nuts. Ordered the hardware from McMaster Carr. IIRC, it was around $70 for the hardware. We did the first wheel the conventional method- Used the bolts that held the rings together for shipping to start with, then went around the wheel about 8 times (thats 256 bolts) to get the bolts torqued to spec. What a pain in the ass. That method took just over half an hour to just torque the bolts for one wheel, that doesn't include putting all the bolts in the holes and starting a nut on each one. The rest of the wheels we ran the bolts down with an air ratchet till the bolt was sticking out from the nut about the same distance as the ones on the first wheel, then went around 2 times with the torque wrench. By the last wheel we got it down to about 10 minutes. Beadlocks pit crew style. :D After everything was torqued, airing up was a simple with the tire/wheel sitting on a stool. Had no problems with the inner bead seating, aired right up with no problems. Big thanks to my buddy Joey for the help, if I had been on my own for this, it would have taken me 2-3 hours longer. To those considering doing this beadlock kit, I would HIGHLY reccomend getting a buddy to help out. On to the pictures-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you like the way this kit looks, take a look at Kurts website and order your stuff from him. Quality is great, prices are great and customer service is great. DIY4x.com

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Very kewl !!!! Those look awesum on your rig. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :thumb:

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

4. Zeus33rd

I checked out fastenall awhile back. The differences in price between them and McMaster was within a few cents. And the fastenal website feels like it was put together by a 12 year old. It's confusing and hard to use. McMaster Carr's website is easy and intuitive. That made the decision easy. 150 1.5x3/8" grade 8 flange bolts and 150 3/8" centerlock all steel lock nuts are expensive no matter where you buy them. ;)

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the props Kidjethro. Looks like you did a nice job on the assembly and finish. Super nice welding as always. Record time to I might add. :waytogo:

6. Zeus33rd

I just give credit were credit is due. ;)

And thank you for the good words. I was pretty careful to make the welds as perfect as I could... I DO NOT want to take these things apart again because of a pin hole leak or sumthin. :crazy: Whats this about record time though? You mean from order to install time?

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks Good!!! :thumb: :thumb:

Did you GLUE the inside bead???
    I rubber cemented my beads. :grin:

8. cybrfire

yep, I was referring to order placed to installed on truck. I think your the fastest so far.

9. Zeus33rd

lol, Well, I don't think my gf would have dealt with 75lbs worth of beadlocks sitting on the coffee table for too long. :D

10. cybrfire

Ha, Now that's funny. :grin:

11. Zeus33rd

And so far no leaks. I aired them to exactly 10lbs when we mounted them on the truck. Checked them today and they were still exactly 10lbs. w00t! I was sooo dreading that- Would be depressing to have to take one back apart to find a leak. :D

12. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is the only part that sucks about beadlocks............ But hey, I got pretty darn good at breaking a tire down and putting it back on.

13. Zeus33rd

So how common is breaking bolts on these things? Has anyone ever broken one?

14. cybrfire

I have yet to hear of anyone braking a bolt off. I have heard a few guys complain about the countersunk bolt heads getting so mashed in and beat up that they can't be removed without alot of headache. Ironic, beings that is why they go with that style bolt, For protection. Them rocks will get at anything. Better to use regular bolts like you did and let the rocks have a bite or two now and then and when needed you grind what's left of the head off and push it through.