Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIY4X Built Engine X-Member

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RGV72BLAZER, Jan 8, 2007.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    here are a few pics of the www.diy4x.com built engine x-member installed on my bare frame. this fits perfect with no drilling required on mine. very beefy as well. hopefully i'll have an engine cradled in there in the next few weeks. :doah: :D

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1183.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Get some good pics when you set an engine on that bad boy :waytogo:

3. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the installed pics - now I understand how it mounts. Looks great in there.

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dumb question - but does it matter if the little gussets (that are horizontal in the mounted pic) go to the front (as shown) or to the back? Does that shift the motor forward or backward if that cross member is flipped?

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I can't wait for mine to get here :)
    Ben, it does look offset in the pic to allow for it to be flipped to pull the motor forward.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

fllippy no worky. Only goes one way.

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Looks very nice. Beefy is a good word for it. :)

Im still trying to figure out exactly how Im gonna fit the BBC in my 72, thinking I have to shift it forward (2"). Does this setup accomodate that possibility (diff outer brackets made perhaps), or is this pretty much just for a small block mounted in the stock location?

8. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    like Kert said, only goes one way...i thought i was going to have trouble getting my brain to click to get everything mounted correctly...but there's only one way to mount it, it won't work the other way around. :D

not sure, but give Kert a call. he's very helpful and could possibly build something for you or modify the current one. www.diy4x.com (712) 479-2251

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I just got mine via DHL today... I think it's gonna stay in my bed with me, LMAO oh so ubber sexy.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

from speaking with another customer for this product, according to the research he has done forward 2" is about right. It just so happens on the divers frame rail there is a set of holes 2" forward. Only on the top though. It's a place to start anyhow. The rest of the holes would have to be drilled for the inner frame channels but it should work just the same.

11. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

FYI. I just tried fitting up the new cross member/motor mount assy. we got from Kert to the 396 BB out of a 1966 Chevelle that we are going to install in our 72. It seems as though it is going to work just fine. Plenty of clearance for the pan. Just remember, however, that this motor is a first gen BBC out of a Chevelle. The Chevelles have a different pan than full size cars and trucks. I don't think the difference will affect the crossmember, but I can't say for sure. The only problem I see that may come up is clearance for the manifold/header. The mount plate will not clear the manifold on the passenger side. We are planning to go with headers, so this may not be a big problem. Plus, I suspect this is more a problem with stuffing a big block into a first gen rather than with the mount. Overall, I am very pleased with the crossmember and I think it will work just fine. Later today or tomorrow I will post some pictures of the crossmember installed on the motor on our thread in this forum titled "some progress pics".

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007