Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dizzy Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Oct 24, 2006.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Whats the difference between my 7 pin dizzy and the 4 pin or just whats the difference between the two modules?:dunno:

Would that distributor in the ebay deals thread work in my truck :D because I noticed in the pics it had a 4 pin module?:doah:

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The 7 pin modules were usally used on California vehicles, in 1986.
    Was your truck originally sold in Cali?
    They have an extra weather pack pigtail coming out the back of the dist. going into the firewall to a large metal box under the dash.
    There's a 5 pin version too, which goes on ESC vehicles.
    4 Pin is the standard, been used since 1975. In the mid 80's, they started getting fancy with them, your probably wouldn't find a regular 4pin on a '86,from the factory.
    Anything will 'work', looks like you have already modd'ed the truck, so a 4pin distributor might work just fine.
    A completely stock truck, if you swapped the dist. for a 4pin one, it wouldn't run proper.

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Yeah it is a California truck but the extra weatherpack would that be on the 4 pin dizzy or would I have to mod things to make it work?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

The extra weatherpak will not exist on a 4pin module equipped distributor.
    You won't be able to mod it to either.
    I'm not entierly sure what the 'computer' is doing on the Cali Vecihles, I had an ESC dist. on my C10, a 5pinmodule, with computer. I know it's only function was to retard the timing if it detected knock from the knock sensor. The Cali trucks I think had a few more connectors in various places on the engine.
    If you've torn off all the emiissions stuff and replaced the carb with aftermarkey, it probabbly won't matter much, if you just don't hook it back up. (BTW, don't try disconnecting the weather pak on the curreent dist, it requires a feedback signal to run the module at all, so if YOu disconnect your current setup, it just won't run at all).

5. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

the 7 pin dizzy's allowed the ECM to control the engine timing....much like the TBi setups do. If you don't have emissions to worry about, I would strip off all that CCC/ESC stuff, and run a simple quadrajet and 4 pin HEI dizzy....

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

California stuff at least back to '84 is CCC, completely computer controlled carb. (CCCC? :))

You'd have to start changing all sorts of stuff if that's what it is. If it runs right, it's not worth changing everything just to use another module. Keep your eyes open for genuine Delco replacements and you won't pay too much.

7. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Ok I won't change anything because it all works fine right now and I still have the emissions stuff on it

Thanks for the help though, highly appreciatied