Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dman tailgates..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 4, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

MAANN im tellnig you...whe none of these tailgates goes to pot fomr rust or somehting.MAN does it go to POT!!..i have a tailgate that has nothing in it..and im putting the power window stuff in it fomr the crapped one..oh my god this thing is anoying i hope i never have to do this agin or at least any time soon!

Bryan-later

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

HEHE! mines rust free but has 2 cracks at the top. (1 on each side) and I am considering going to a P/U gate. LOL!

Whats w/ those cracks BTW? I have seen them on almost every K5 gate I have seen.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeah k5-gates are crazy hard ot take care of..once they are gone theres NO getting them back dman those htings are the PITS!!! but i realllyyy need ot get my hands on a tailpan for mine..there is liek NO support in the back of the body..that scares the [censored] out of me to! i can just see it al lcoming down in the back lol..and that cap sitting on top of there to..i cant take it of cuase i have to leave it in the driveway..cuase the garage has my moms car and my other k5 in it so...LOL

Bryan-later

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

My two driver's side doors are cracked. The front is verticle right behind the mirror mount and the rear is horizontal along the bend in the body contour. I know this doesn't relate to anything but had to vent.

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Bryan,

I've done a custom tailpan on both of mine and have been really happy with the strength of the repair. It was work, but I can't imagine it was much harder than putting in a stock replacement. When I replaced mine, I had to repair both of the bed posts also. So you may want to make sure that you have some extra sheet metal around when you start the job

Check out the link for the tailpan that was written up by Mudzer. http://coloradok5.com/rustytailgatehinge.shtml

Also, check out the bed replacement writeup done by another member. http://coloradok5.com/floorremoval.shtml

You can also look at some of the stuff I've written up, not as good as the two previously mentioned writeups, but additional information all the same. http://blazingcrows.tripod.com/

Good luck with your project.

6. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

There a B#$%h my arms and hands are all srcatched up from rebuilding mine. I havent put it on yet any tips on geting those helper springs hooked they look like a BI%$H. I did get lucky I bought a BRAND NEW Tail gate from a guy that sold his Blazer before he put it on for $35 That he bought at Chevy when he worked there. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Pure Insanity

Install the torsion springs from below w/ the gate closed. That way there is minimal tension on them. That is the way you should have removed them also.

A new GM gate for 35 bucks! WOW! Thats lucky!

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

oh my god..i know what you mean..same here.so damn pissed form having to reach in there.i got cuts and crap liek that to! ..i just sit there and it seems like i never finish this damn thing..all this for a damn power window..un beilevable!!!

Bryan-later

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx a lot for your help i will check them all out! im having a time of it just getting my damn tailgate finished at the moment and then when im done witht it ill have nothing to bolt it to!! ahah..so i need to start this sono as well...

Bryan-thanx

10. TwoCrowsDesign

I read that somebody on the boards didn't reinstall the springs and was all the happier for it. Who knows. Mine don't seem to be "helping" all that much though.

Have fun.

11. Pure Insanity

HEHE! Put the gate on and try to lift the gate. Fully loaded that is w/ glass and all in there. Its a lot heavier than you think. The gate on 1 of my F/S Cherokees broke 1 spring and the gate was a bear to close. (wasnt a whole bunch of fun to try to catch when opening it either) Fortunately that was not on the one I was building, it was 1 of my parts Jeeps. The K5 gate is just as big if not bigger so I can imagine what it would be like.

12. TwoCrowsDesign

Yeah, I suppose you're right, the damn things weigh a solid 120#. Besides, if the springs weren't doing anything they wouldn't be so hard to put on!

There's always the pickup gate solution...

13. Pure Insanity

LOL! See my post in the 73-91 board about P/U gates. Im considering it myself.

14. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

They do the guy I bought mine from didnt put them back on and the tail gate is hard as hell to close you have to lift the entire wight of the gate.

15. Pure Insanity

Ya know this may be too little too late.......but you may want to put the gate on the truck BEFORE you build it. Itll be a lot easier to wrestle to get lined up and bolts started, when empty.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ahh hell lol..so you mean its really hard to get the gate back ON there? damn i just started hating this thing even MORE lol..how hard is it to get it back over those springs?

Bryan-later

17. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Im not puting in the glass untill its on and I figuerd it would be a 2 man job any way.

18. Pure Insanity

I havent had to remove my gate. Mines rust free! LOL!! I havent even opened it up before or payed attention to how the springs go. Id go take a look at mine but its been at mom and dads since late Jan. early Feb. It is coming home this week tho. I am a body man and have hung more than my fair share of large heavy parts to know whats gonna be a PITA.

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

say...you woundlt mind coming over to my house and fixing my truck up for me would you!!?? LOL...

Bryan

20. Pure Insanity

You would never guess that I hear that quite often! LOL!!

If I actually enjoyed doing body work I would, but to be honest I hate it! Thats why P.I. still hasnt had anything done to it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Believe it or not when I got to work this morning I gave my 2 week notice. I am getting out of body work finally. I have been waiting for almost a yr for my dad to be ready to put another guy on and......its time! I quit last summer to go to work for dad and the new shop wasnt ready yet, so I went back to body work till he was ready. We have been talking for 3 weeks and finally made a final decision on Sunday that I will start 2 weeks from today.

OOPS! Sorry I have gotten way off the topic. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif