Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dmax/alli in an obs truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Nov 3, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

2. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

(Homer Simpson drooling) aaaahhhhhllllaaaacacccallllDuramaxaaahhhllaacaa!! the only thing that sucks is swapping the gage cluster and acc.??:doah:

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm still trying to figure out why you have to put the dmax gauge cluster in, while you don't have to with a 6.0L, or other gas engine...

I'd absolutely love to do a dmax swap on my truck, and there are lots in wrecking yards in the 8 grand range for a full parts truck that can be parted out to recover much of that cost, seeing as I wouldn't need the diffs, tranmission, t-case, or any of the interior etc, but if I have to swap a 95+ dash cluster into my truck to get the dmax cluster in thats hardly worth it...

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

for a dmax/alli combo, id swap clusters :)

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Lots of guys have swapped a 95 dash cluster into one of our older trucks. It looks very good, and apparantly isn't too blindingly hard either. Most of the work comes with getting the ducting to work, and in the wiring.

Only issue I've heard is that the new dash is a lot taller than our older ones, so they either reduce leg room and put the steering column on your lap, or they sit up too high and reduce visibility. That said, the guys who have done it say it isn't that big of a deal.

It'd be pretty easy to swap the dmax cluster into a 95+ dash too, they are fairly similar...

I personally want to do a dmax / NV4500 swap into my truck, but if the dmax winds up being this significant of a modification, I'd rather just do the 6.0L...

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

its because with the gas engine computers, the sensors and signals from those sensors are similar to all gm gauges(oil pressure, coolant temp, vss in some applications), and can be wired straight up. Or, the computer is compatable where you can change the signal to a different pulse(tach only). But with the diesels, they work on a completely different signal, voltage, hertz whatever it is, cant think of it right now. Bottom line, you cant just whip out a autometer catalog and get the right gauges because they dont make any that are compatable to my knowledge. But......it might be possible to take apart the late model gm cluster and mod them to fit into an older style cluster like we have in the older gm trucks.......just a thought.

Regards,
    Remington

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I would love you to put a duramax/allison 6 speed in my avalanche. Just not very cost effective unless you find a wreched donor real cheap.