Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DMV HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speedyvision917, Sep 7, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

ok, i just talked with trucknutzdude today about doing my floors and he suggested that i could replace my body (not including doors or tailgate) because he figured it would be easier and cheeper, i liked the idea until i was talking it over with a freind and he reminded me about the vins and having parts from different vehicles might not pass Connecticuts inspection. so i looked around on the dmv site and found this Click im guessing my truck would be a composite vehicle if i had a new body, i also have a new door thats not used and a fender that was brand new thats on already. what do i need to do and can i use this other body trucknutz might have found??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif AHHH i hate the dmv, also this is what they will inspect
    [ QUOTE ]
    Equipment Items that are Safety Inspected by DMV

A safety inspection will include, though is not limited to, an inspection of the following equipment: Service brake, headlights, exhaust system, turn signal lights, steering components, parking lights, frame/unibody, wipers, suspension components, windshield, glazing, wiring, mirror(s), horn, tires and wheels, hi-beam indicator, marker light, restraint system, brake lights, parking brake, tail lights and reflectors, emissions, miscellaneous lights and reflectors, and a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification.

[/ QUOTE ]
    do i need the receipt to the fender thats on there? or the door because i dont have either. HELP im confused! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

as long as you keep the same front clip as your original rig, just remove the 2 vins(dash and door post)and swap them onto your new rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, i just talked with trucknutzdude today about doing my floors and he suggested that i could replace my body (not including doors or tailgate) because he figured it would be easier and cheeper, i liked the idea until i was talking it over with a freind and he reminded me about the vins and having parts from different vehicles might not pass Connecticuts inspection. so i looked around on the dmv site and found this Click im guessing my truck would be a composite vehicle if i had a new body, i also have a new door thats not used and a fender that was brand new thats on already. what do i need to do and can i use this other body trucknutz might have found??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif AHHH i hate the dmv, also this is what they will inspect
    [ QUOTE ]

A safety inspection will include, though is not limited to, an inspection of the following equipment: Service brake, headlights, exhaust system, turn signal lights, steering components, parking lights, frame/unibody, wipers, suspension components, windshield, glazing, wiring, mirror(s), horn, tires and wheels, hi-beam indicator, marker light, restraint system, brake lights, parking brake, tail lights and reflectors, emissions, miscellaneous lights and reflectors, and a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) verification.

[/ QUOTE ]
    do i need the receipt to the fender thats on there? or the door because i dont have either. HELP im confused! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW,
    I would go to the DMV ans ask them face to face and take names and what not of who you talked to..And ask where they are getting there info from..i.e.What VC code they used to give you the answer..
    That way you have it from the Horses mouth ... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    I hate DMV but I would hate to see you go to all that work only to find out something is wrong or not up to there twisted rules..JM2C /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    as long as you keep the same front clip as your original rig, just remove the 2 vins(dash and door post)and swap them onto your new rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is illegal.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

depends on who knows about it. i was told that here, since i had the truck so far apart, i could pick whichever title i wanted. 79 K10, 81 K30, or 86 C10. C10 is cheaper on insurance, and its already in the cab. anybody wanna guess which way im going? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is illegal.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats not what the oregon DMV told me when we swapped bodies on my dads burb.

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

there are different ways to look at it...

say you are building a buggy and using a 63 willys frame and vin...

no where does it state how much of the truck must be original..from what I read and how I and other interpret it it simply states you cant remove or alter the vin....

so what is so illigal about cutting out a dash or a 5x5 section of the door...

all in how you "interpret" the law...of coarse the judge can "interpret" things the way he wants to /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Never once in all the times i've swapped cabs and every other part on my truck's have i EVER had a cop question my VIN even when he was lookin' at a 1979, 8" lifted, 38" cepek'd 3/4 ton, fullsize 8 foot bed truck that was registered as a 83' chevy c-10 /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

he read the VIN of the dash and that matched the vin on the registration
    investigation closed

Illegal here in PA, yep definitly illegal
    any problems ever, nope no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Do it how you want to, but i would either register the VIN thats on the body your using, or very carefully transfer your VIN so that it looks original still
    The cop's i've dealt with know so little about this stuff that i've actually had them ask me why it was registered as a GMC but had a chevy grill and tailgate /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    Then i explain and they go "Ohhhh" /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

and i've have DEFINITLY never had one EVER in all my years go lookin' for a frame VIN, I mean GEEZ, i don't even no where thats at myself

Just my opinion, if you try to do it according to actual rules and regulations, then your just asking for massive amounts of time, money, and pain

BTW, PA law now say's that if you change more than 2 major components (drivetrain OR structure) on your vehicle from factory original then you need a reconstructed title /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif every vehicle i own would then need a Recon title.

I'll continue doing it my way, thank you very much

Just my 2 cents

9. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Hawaii does the same thing w/ Recon inspections...and them folks are crazy when it comes to signing off on inspections for the simplest of mods...I'm starting to think DMV's in certain states are in cahoots w/ the manufactures to make it so difficult to legally drive an altered early model, even late model truck, blazer ect. The tougher it gets to make mods and still be legal makes for a good conspiracy theory!!

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

When a previous owner swapped cabs on my 74,he simply registered it as the truck he got the cab from,since it had a clean title--he also gave me the title for the original rotted cab and the VIN # tag in case there were ever any questions--I've owned it 15 years,have never even been pulled over in it once,only 1 time I had a cop ask me at a redlight to show me the registration because I was on my way to the scrapyard with a heavy load of junk,and he wasnt happy with the way I had it tied down,and he chewed me out for being overloaded,but never looked at the trucks VIN,nor did he write me up,since I was a 1/2 mile from the scrapyard.I doubt if they are worried about any 20+year old trucks being "hot",if they are looking for that type of crime they will be looking for much newer cars and trucks,that are worth more than my 500 dollar beaters!.I know many others who just changed the cab and put the old cabs tags back on--if you followed the letter of the law,they would make it so expensive and difficult to do a cab swap,that it wouldnt be worth it to the average Joe--just what the DMV wants--more old vehicles off the road.You would cry if you could see some of the trucks they scrap around here,just because it has no title,and the RMV makes it such a hassle to try and get one,even a salvage title(which makes the vehicle nearly worthless in a potential buyers mind)that most people junk them--a waste of an otherwise good truck--. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. speedyvision917

ok so hear are my options:

1). Go to the DMV and ask them face to face if i can swap a body from another truck onto mine, if they say yes i will ask there name and write it down also ask them what VC code they got this information from. If i cant then i have these other options...

2)Not talk to the DMV at all and get this other body and swap it with mine, then take the VIN from my body and CAREFULLY put it in place of the VIN on the new body, then just junk the body or give it to anyone for free so i cant get in trouble for selling something with no vin or thats been "sabotaged" so to say, just to be safe.

3)Just put the new body on and keep that vin on there and hope they dont notice /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Also i have a very noob question...Wheres the vin located? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with you guys totally.

My truck is on a different frame, which any sharp eyed Chevy enthusiast could tell simply by looking at the body mounts.

This is technically illegal too, but I have reciepts for the frame itself and it is simply registered as the truck that the cab came from.

I don't feel the need to tell anybody this if I ever drive my truck on the street so I really don't care.

If you're not hurting anybody it's nobody's business but your own.

Either way...screw it, nobody will ever check it.

It's still illegal though.

13. speedyvision917

i think i have just found a new number....where i beleive the vin number is suposed to be its not /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif theres a small space on the top of the dash thats cut out where i think it should be in front of the drivers side....am i lookin in the wrong place???

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Or you can make a new floor , maybe diamond plate floor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. speedyvision917

woops i ment new PROBLEM not number, i cant find the vin /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif, WHERE IS IT!!! i really hope this is one of those times where im going to look really dumb by lookin in the rong spot /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. semper-k-five

one more thing not to overlook, is if all ur glass has the VIN etched...all my glass is etched and it wouldn't be to wise to have one number on all my glass and another on the dash!!! just keep that in mind and don't overlook it...you never know what a PO may have done...

17. speedyvision917

OK could someone please tell me where exactly the vin is...i need to make sure, cuz i think i dont have one /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif i feel incredibly stupid right now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. semper-k-five

it's on the dash near the windshield on the drivers side

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They didn't start putting VINs on anything but bodies near the dash until the late 80s when the federal government mandated it. Now it is etched in several places. It changes based on date of manufacture. It's a very hush-hush process and my Dad hates dealing with it. The government even mandates that the rivets that hold the dash VIN in place are supposed to be counted. Crazy, eh?

I'd just use the new VIN unless it is a salvage VIN, stolen, or has a lien on it. The redneck way around this is to cut part of the dash out and weld in the new piece of the dash with the new VIN on it. Sure, it's illegal to swap VINs... but who really cares? I'm sure your DMV would rather you paid them their $45 for plates every year than worry about you swapping VINs on a 15 year old vehicle.

I'll be swapping an 87C10 cab onto a 79K5 frame. They'll get approximately $17/year more in fees. Do you think they'll want that money?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on putting a 71 Ranchero VIN on a 83K5.

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Call your local DMV/Inspection station and tell them what you want too do and ask them if they would have any problems with that. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif