Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do 1st Gen's have dual retractor seat-belts?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The Butcher, Dec 14, 2006.

1. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am searching for a Blazer that has dual retractor seat belts (the retraction device for the lap belt is on the bottom, and the retraction device for the shoulder belt is up near your shoulder). Would it be 1st Gen's that have that type of system? If so, does anyone have a Blazer that is for sale with functioning dual-retractor seat belts? Please let me know.

Thanks!

2. mcne2026

mcne2026 Registered Member

I don't think any 1st Gens had shoulder belts. Not sure where you could mount it.

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

why couldn't you mount the shoulder piece on the roll cage? At least thats been my plan if i ever finish the 500 other things i want to do.

4. mcne2026

My roll cage is much to far back for a shoulder harness. It would work well for a 4 or 5 point, but not a standard over the shoulder. Looking at the geometry, I think it would be more dangerous than not having it at all. The only safe place to mount it is on the hardtop, but that is not strong enough and it would be ugly to reinforce it to be strong enough.

5. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does your 75 have shoulder belts? If so, is it a single retractor system for shoulder and lap? I'm trying to figure out if ANY year Blazer ever came with the dual retractor system. Thanks.

6. mcne2026

My '85 has them. I don't think any full top 69-75 would have them.

7. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I dont know if i have the stock roll bar, however i do know its in a perfect location for a shoulder harness, as long as i get the kind that has the roll up piece on the floor, a shoulder belt has been in my plans for a while now.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have a set of belts from an early 80s burb that I am gonna install one o these days.
    They look like they will attach to the roll bar no problem. The drivers side looks to be a bolt in deal.
    The passenger side will need a piece of channel iron welded to the floor by the seat to attach it to.
    I have the channel cut and ready to go but like all other projects it's on hold for now.

Poor ol rig, I see her sitting outside all lonely and needing some love and it kills me not being able to work on it.
    Oh well one day I'll have a place I can work on my rigs again.
    Till then I'll just keep on gathering parts, she aint going anywhere.

If ya want I'll take a few pics of the belts and the mounting locations.

9. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

The double-wall tops have threaded inserts mounted at shoulder height to attach a shoulder harness to. I've never heard of the shoulder harnesses being factory installed, however.

I will be re-doing my seatbelts this year and going to the three-point style with the shoulder harness. Eventually when it gets a rollbar I will mount the shoulder harness guide to that.