Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do 203 and 205 front outputs interchange?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Aug 1, 2006.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I have a 71 205 with the yoke style CV and a buddy gave me a flange style 203 front uotput, will they interchange? I need to have front shaft work done and prefer the flange. Those freaking bolts on that front yoke are the biggest PITA I have ever come across to R and R.

2. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

The 203 front output shaft wont work in the 205,you will need to find a later 205 to get the 30spline shaft for the flange set-up.

Since your searching and swapping outputs you may want to find a Ford or Dodge 205 that will have a 32spline front output and then use the flange yoke from a junk 208 that will bolt right on with a different seal.

That way you will have the stongest set-up,can use your factory front driveshaft for now and could upgrade later to a 1350CV/aftermarket flange.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Whych fords and dodges had that output, and how do you tell without yanking a bunch of yokes?
    My shaft wont fit with these 52's on the front now, and it is going to bind from having so much flex, so I need to do something different. It's only a year old too. I am running 1 tons, 37's and over 400hp so I have considered the 32 spline upgrade, but money and time is tight, I still need to finish up the motor, get it fired, finish wiring the engine bay, do rock rails, re-do my winch mount and front bumper before I go to paragon aug 12th.

4. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

All the Ford and Dodge 205s had a 32spline front output even divorced ones.The late 80s Dodge had a flange yoke from the factory that is the same as the GM except its 32spline but good luck finding one of those in a hurry.

Heres a picture of a 208 yoke on a Ford 32spline front output,the pilot as been turned down for a 1350 CV. You wont need to do that for a GM flange shaft,also the slinger as been turned down some for clearance with the retainer.
    You could just remove the slinger if your in a hurry.(late Dodge has a clearanced retainer instead)

IMG00005.jpg