Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do 6.2's have casting #'s?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Do 6.2\'s have casting #\'s?

How do ya identify these things? Buyin a tow rig from gramps...'83 K20- 6.2/465/208. 6.2 has 300K+ miles on it, and is waaaay tired./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Got a rebuilt 6.2 thats been sittin the garage for a year or two. Is there a casting # on these things like gas motors? If so, where do I look to reference it? Is there a diesel alternitive to mortec.com? I did a little reading...What does "J code" mean? What other "codes" are there? What is more desireable? How to tell them apart? Sorry for all the questions....I have pretty much zero knowledge on the "oil burners". /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Re: Do 6.2\'s have casting #\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
    How do ya identify these things? Buyin a tow rig from gramps...'83 K20- 6.2/465/208. 6.2 has 300K+ miles on it, and is waaaay tired./forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Got a rebuilt 6.2 thats been sittin the garage for a year or two. Is there a casting # on these things like gas motors? If so, where do I look to reference it? Is there a diesel alternitive to mortec.com? I did a little reading...What does "J code" mean? What other "codes" are there? What is more desireable? How to tell them apart? Sorry for all the questions....I have pretty much zero knowledge on the "oil burners". /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]There is C and J codes, the C is light duty with EGR, the J is heavy dduty with no EGR. The J code intake doesnt have the EGR so its less restricted allowing more air to flow. Not sure what the other differences are but J are more desireable. If you take the air cleaner off and theres a big brass looking thing on it with a vacuum hose connected to it then its a C. All 1/2 tons came with C, all 1 tons came with J, unsure of what 3/4 tons came with. Couldnt find any pics, but if I find some ill post them later.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joe
    Like Tybee said it's easy to see which typ eit is, and 1/2 ton and light duty 3/4 tons came with the C code, and HD 3/4 ton and 1 ton's came with J code.
    From I have learned, ( I have no confirmation yet, working on that) the heads on the J code are also different and combined with the better flow from the J code intake, get about 20 more HP and Torque.
    If you want to see the difference, I have both, the J code in my garage and the C code on my Van.
    Just come over bring the Plazma cutter and I will teach you some on the oil burners.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] This is a J code intake.