Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do 86's have an O2 sensor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 16, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do 86\'s have an O2 sensor?

I have an 86 w/carb... I thought that I wouldn't have a O2 sensor right?... I do though... Is this not supposed to be there? The y-pipe seems to me not to be the factory one the more I look at it... I got to thinking about this and it seems wrong to me... am I right here or is this supposed to be here?

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Do 86\'s have an O2 sensor?

Yes, it it supposed to be there. I have a 86 also. (love ca emissions). We have a computer controlled carb. It is a pain in the arse........Dan

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My 85 K30 with a 454 has all the AIR injectors and smog pump still hooked up. It also has the O2 sensor hooked and plugged in on the driver side header. Just so you know, I have all that on an '85 year truck.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've got an 86 also, but I don't have an O2 sensor on it. When I installed the headers in it, the headers came with a place to put the O2 sensor but the truck never had one on it's original exhaust manifold or y-pipe. I also have the computer controlled carb. It also has all the CA emission crap on it. I don't know if this matters but the truck was made in Texas.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Ok... because my friend has an 86 Burb and it doesn't have an O2 sensor. We compared Vin #'s and both were made in Flint and were sent to CA and spent all their lives here in this state. I thought that was weird.... why I ask is because I wanted to make sure. We both face the same emissions and smogging yet no O2 for him... I guess since I live in smog central that's why. But stupid question... so if the carb is computerized but the rest of the Blazer is not that doesn't matter? Does that make sense... I just didn't realize it mattered is all. Learn new things everyday! Thanks for the help you guys! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had an '86 truck that came from Cali (yea...) and it had an o2 on it.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

7. gokartergo

The dist. is controlled by the computer to I believe...Dan

8. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Computer huh???....hmmm....Mine MUST be a cali Truck!!...no wonder the plug wire set I got from Schucks did'nt fit!!!!....I noticed the suspicious looking O2 sensorish thing up there about 3 weeks ago...did'nt really think much about it till now...though I was seeing things....how do you tell if it's gone bad?????????.......where's the computer at??? Thanks!

Yep!! It's definatly a jEEP thing...So, what your excuse???

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

does my 85 have it?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

10. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, my 85' has a computer controlled carb, but if it is computer controlled, is there a way to upgrade the computer or change the settings, if there are any worth changing? ...and where is it located?

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

11. gokartergo

I am not expert on these things. I am just learning to. From what I understand and sombody correct me if I am wrong. 86 were the first with computer controlled carbs. I believe the computer itself is by the Power brakes. The read out thingy is by your left knee on the bottom of the dash. I don't think o2 sensors go out that much unless you blew a head gasket then antifreeze will take them out fast. When I put in my crate motor I had to replace mine. The guy before me cracked a head. I do not now if there are any upgrades or if they are worth upgrading.......Dan