Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do 87 on up fuel injected K5s have a reservior in the fuel tank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RyansRod, Jan 3, 2002.

1. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

I need to know this for a TBI swap into my formerly carburated K5. From what I understand, elecrtic fuel pumps need a reservior inside the tank to prevent starvation, but do the fuel injected Blazers have this setup?

Friends don't let friends drive fords

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i dont believe they do, my 1990 starves its self if it is really low and i fly around a corner. but it may do that with or without a resivore.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes they have a baffle/bucket. Not removable.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

4. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

My biggest issue is putting in my TBI setup and not having to worry about my electric pump starving for fuel all the time while I'm off roading. Do you think I should buy another tank, say from an 87 on up?

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

My number one rule when going on a trail ride is making sure I have at least over half a tank. Yeah the Fuel injected blazers do have a baffle in the tank that surrounds the pickup for the pump but steep inclines and harsh bumps will still get air into the pump. The best way I have found to combat this is simply by keeping the tank closest to full. I don't see the need to get another tank. Using an external pump with your existing sending unit and tank should work fine.
    Hope this helps,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

6. 2Dogs

These are big tanks - the baffle definately helps to keep fuel around the pump. Running the pump dry will cause it to fail prematurely. After dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump, I would say that it is not a job that I want to do frequently.

And what happens if it fails on the trail?

I purchased a brand new tank for mine (wish I would have known about the aftermarket companies, damn) when I discovered my baffle was blown out. My fuel pump had failed..... Coincidence?

My vote would be to do it right the first time.

I am investigating larger or auxilary tanks at the moment. When will you be doing your upgrade? I'll be loking to sell my tank if I upgrade.

Dave

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Right now I'm using an open Diesel tank with a TBI pick-up in it. I'll just have to keep the tank full for now. I have scouted high and low looking for a SWB saddle tank with the baffles and I've had no luck. Some of the EFI trucks I've looked in had baffles, others didn't. I don't know what to make of that. Note that I need an out-board saddle tank so that limits my options. Of the ones that had baffles, every one I've found has been broken. The force of gas hitting them in a wreck breaks the little plastic walls, even with an otherwise perfect tank. The way the baffles are made, it's kinda like an maze formed of 2 interlocked walls. When setting flat or changing orientation, the fuel will "enter" the maze and a quart or so will be trapped in the well around the pump. This will last long enough (generally) to change orientation again (or level out) so that more can be trapped. "Trapped" is not really the right word but, if you look at one, you'll see what I mean.

So, what to do. I've found and considered several solutions. For one, build your own tank and put in some metal baffles similar to (or improving on) the stock plastic version. For another, I've been told that some people use a sort of "staging" tank. The main tank pumps fuel into a small secondary tank when necessary (or maybe using a recirc. like a pressure regulator?). The second tank is tall and slim so that there is not problem with angles and it has the real pump that feeds the TBI. Obviously, there are a number of possibilities here. Good luck. If you find a good answer, be sure to let me know.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

RaysRod,
    I have 87 and just bought a 31 gal. tank from Rock Auto .com
    for 107.00 It's has a metal splash shield in where as Gm has a plastic one.

IT'S NOT JUST A J**P THING AND I DO UNDERSTAND

9. 2Dogs

That's the best/cheapest solution fer sure!!!!!

Dave

10. RyansRod

RyansRod 1/2 ton status

What's the part#?
    I wonder if that would work with my Camaro pump housing (I am using as much of the stock Camaro fuel system as possible.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I bet that metal "splash" (slosh?) shield is probably in all truck tanks. The gas car tanks 78-88 (midsize GM's) all have tanks with metal baffles EXCEPT TBI Monte Carlos (86-87) and the Turbo Buicks. The internal difference is enormous if the two tanks are set side by side, while on the exterior, they are identical. I'd be willing to bet if all EFI cars the same vintage of the trucks had plastic baffles, while non EFI cars same vintage only had a "shield" inside, that the trucks followed suit.

GM had to realize that the trucks, while not as likely to have fuel "slosh" from acceleration, would have MORE of a problem than a car, likely due to being used on steeper angles.

The plastic baffles at least in cars (haven't got a TBI tank for the truck yet, but will) are quite "complex", more a labyrinth.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?