Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do a search you bandwith waisting mofo.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    NOTE: I've searched for hours and hours without being able too find what I need. So I ask questions and for opinions. When some of y'all jump my a$$ saying too search, or "you're waisting bandwith" it's very frustrating. If it's covered already, please include a link to the thread(s), couse I'm having a problem finding the information I need. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Hey man, some people might not know what you're talking about, you might want to direct this or even give a clue to what you're talking about! I understand where you're coming from, just try and be calm and collected and make your point clearly! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, it doesn't just apply to myself. I see the "Do a search" reply too alot of questions besides to what I've posted. I know I've searched without finding what I needed, and it does get frustrating when people just tell ya to search for it. The title of this thread was intended too catch everyone's attention.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well said Paul /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. And, making a post telling someone to do a search takes up just as much bandwidth as simply answering the question. Searching uses bandwidth too. The data still has to go from the server to your computer. What's everyone's obsession with bandwidth anyway? If you're so worried about wasting it, just don't surf the site at all /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the hard part of using the search option is that not all the post included the problem in the body of the post. if you make a title with " My new twin stick" yet never once mention twin stick(or type twinstick) in the post it will not be included in the post. almost have to give search words like ebay.LOL

**search help, search, linking, twin stick, whinning and bandwidth, waste of time, reply ** /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif now it will come up in a search

6. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I'm not taking sides in the battle in the other thread. I try to use search, but find it to usually not answer my exact question.

I kinda go byt he theory of if you think the post is stupid or beneath you to answer, just move on & let someone else answer it. A year ago, I was the DAN asking can I fit these 35's with a 2" lift. I've learned a heck of alot since then, but I'm still a newbie to all this.

My feeling is, "this is a family board so if you can't say something nice, don't say anything."

7. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you bandwith waisting mofo

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Kettle? You have a message from Pot. "you're black!"
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Since we pay money for this site, who cares how much bandwidth is used? Bad enough we pay and still have to look at all these ads.

And, I really doubt pages of text use much bandwidth in the first place.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

its nice to conserve though, it could run up serious bills for steve if everyone got carried away with it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifjmho

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Since we pay money for this site, who cares how much bandwidth is used? Bad enough we pay and still have to look at all these ads.

And, I really doubt pages of text use much bandwidth in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you pay for the site but do you know how much Steve has to pay each month in penalties when he goes over his alotted bandwidth?

Also, no, text doesn't waste alot of bandwidth, but animated gif smilies, avatar pics, and every other image on the page does.

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

avatar and signature pics dont. They are simply referenced URL's that use up the sources bandwidth.

12. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Who cares? Damn, this site is here so everyone can ask questions instead of going online and doing various searches. The good thing about being a member here is you can get a RECENT answer to your question, or get opinions from people who have done on the same vehicle you have. So if you have a question ask, and if you see a question you know how to answer, answer it. Even if you've seen it before. Everyone knows it would piss them off if they asked an important question about the buildup of their truck and they got the cold shoulder. Just my 2 cents....

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree the DO A SEARCH gets used a little to often /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

"what is a shackle flip" can only be answered so many times.

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes that is true but if you don't want to answer it why say do a search why not just click the little x at the top right side of the screen? it does turn people away from the sit when a newbie comes here and asks what is a shackle flip and gets told several times do a search /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif its simple if you feel its been asked to many times and don't want to answer it click the little x /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

17. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

its like the circle of life...sorta

old members "5000 + post", use to ask those questions, now they know and answer them untill its annoying.....

example-wes

newer members asked "1000+ post", told by old members, now they know pass info when asked. because it is still fresh to them.And sharing this makes them feel smart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ex....me

we always get new members and those people will glady ask those questions, then pass on the information to other new members and explain everything back wards in thier quest sharer the new knowlege they have.

Those blubies then ask the same question in 2 different threads in order to get the right answer, and in the end it is Wes to the resque to correct the whole subject, when he realizes Bubba would do better because he is an exspert at 35's with no lift /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

see its a cycle, just like what a girl has..its restarted every month or so /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    its like the circle of life...sorta

old members "5000 + post", use to ask those questions, now they know and answer them untill its annoying.....

example-wes

newer members asked "1000+ post", told by old members, now they know pass info when asked. because it is still fresh to them.And sharing this makes them feel smart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ex....me

we always get new members and those people will glady ask those questions, then pass on the information to other new members and explain everything back wards in thier quest sharer the new knowlege they have.

Those blubies then ask the same question in 2 different threads in order to get the right answer, and in the end it is Wes to the resque to correct the whole subject, when he realizes Bubba would do better because he is an exspert at 35's with no lift /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

see its a cycle, just like what a girl has..its restarted every month or so /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The whole post count really shouldn't be a factor. My post count is high, but 90% of my posts have been in the Off Topic forum, so there is alot I don't know.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you bandwith waisting mofo

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Kettle? You have a message from Pot. "you're black!"
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
    The title of this thread was intended too catch everyone's attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

20. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree. I'm a rookie around here for sure, but I always try to do a search before I post a question. The reason I do that is b/c I saw a lot of "do a search" replies to other peoples posts before I ever posted my first question. Like others have said though, sometimes the search doesn't exactly return the info you need b/c the combo of words doesn't exactly jive, and it's nice when someone lends a hand. Always helps too I think when the poster prefaces their post w/ a "did a search, can't find the info I was looking for" kind of thing. Just my .02! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and BTW, I still don't exactly understand what a shackle flip is but I'll get there sooner or later!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif