Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do any body know how to weld a 14 bolt rear ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FARTMAN, Jul 10, 2001.

1. FARTMAN

FARTMAN 1/2 ton status

i busted a spider and need a locker anyway!! can anybody help ole STINKY? beans anyone?

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

tRusty is your man. He's got a "Lincoln Locker". [​IMG] I love that term.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Usually you need the spiders to "put in a Lincoln Locker". You are basically welding the spider gears together to keep them from rotating around the carrier. If a few teeth were chunked, you may be able to salvage it. If not you may need to find some donor gears. You should be able to get them at a junk yard cheap (for less than it would cost for me to ship), but let me know, I have a set of 14 bolt FF spider gears from when I put in my locker. I believe with a lincoln locker you rotate the carrier until the spider gears are arranged with two gears being vertical (left and right) and two gears are horizontal (top and bottom) take the spider gears on the "vertical plane" and weld them to the gears on the "horizontal plane". Then rotate the carrier 180 degrees and weld on the back side. I have also heard of people welding to the case, but since it's cast, it's alot trickier. I have never done this myself, so you may want to check with somebody who has.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It's pretty easy to do on a 14FF. I pulled the carrier assembly out of the pumpkin (and obviously thoroughly cleaned it), and then split the case open.....which is accomplished by taking out the ring gear bolts. You can then pull out the cross and 4 spider gears, and the two side gears. I then laid one side the case on the bench (bearing side down) and installed the one side gear and the spiders. This keeps the side gears and spiders in line with each other and the case. The spiders were then tacked to the bottom side gear. The other side of the case was then laid out and the other side gears and spiders were transferred to it. Again the other side gear was tacked to the spiders. At point the side and spider gears are all one big chunk (kinda like a mini spool). I suggest putting the two case halves back together to ensure everything still lines up okay. This chunk was then removed from the carrier and fully welded. I suggest removing it from the carrier to avoid getting weld splatter or other contaminants in the carrier. Every part of the contact between the side and spider gears were welded, even along the outside edge....but you must be careful because there isn't much clearance between the gears and the carrier when reinstalled.