Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do any of you run atf instead of powersteering fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 8, 2002.

any reason why this wouldn't be ok. one less type of fluid to carrie on the trail.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I do. I really don't know why, beside the fact that is what my dad has always done, and what he told me to use so I do. It might have a lower foaming tendency, cool better, and leak slower for being thicker. I don't know this for sure though. Just guesses.

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

they only thing I use is atf powersteering is to much for that little bottle and everybody I know uses it also

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i use it as well /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I use ATF

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i was told not to bcuz it isnt good for the seals or the pump and gee they tell ya to use powersteering fluid for some reason ....

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Power steering fluid is just a light weight hydraulic fluid.
    ATF is just hydraulic fluid with some other additives.
    The problem is these additives have a tendency to dry out the rubber o-rings in all steering boxes. I'm not talking about a small difference either. I would say that of all the boxes i've rebuilt, the ones that have ATF in them are in twice as bad a shape as the ones with PSF. You can run ATF in your steering, hell i used to do the same thing. In fact that's all i used to carry for spare to save room for other parts.
    But I rebuild these boxes all day long so if i have problems it costs me next to nothing to rebuild it.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I don't recall ever having used PS fluid. Always ATF.

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Like the other guy's I run ATF...It's way cheaper,than power steering! Never had any problems.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've used the atf for years in my power steering. When figure cost of a rebuild kit for your steering box, and pump, verses the price of power steering fluid, verses atf, hell, the pump and box will last years with the atf, of atleast all mine have so far, and atf is alot cheaper then power steering fluid. It's your choice, do what you want.

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Everyone in my country uses ATF. You'll have a very hard time searching for PS fluid. My PS pump is 23 years old and so far seals went bad until last year.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use PSF in my Jimmy...it's not like I go through 12 quarts a month so the cost never concerned me too much. I figured if there wasn't any difference between ATF and PSF they wouldn't have bothered making PSF...

Rene

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Power steering fluid and ATF are the exact same thing with the exception that power steering fluid has an extra additive for the longevity of the seals. I have used ATF in all my GM cars for years and have never once had any trouble with it.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

How much fluid do you guys put in? You got a leaky box or something....might be because of the ATF fluid? I rarely have to add fluid, and the difference is a few dollars to get actual PS fluid vs ATF.

I would assume the guys who built these things say to use PS and not ATF for a reason. And just because it works with ATF doesn't mean it is right.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I put some in about once or twice a year.

15. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

all the army uses is ATF. I personally use powersteering fluid, now when I finish my trail truck it will be completely atf, reason being is the hydro assist take alot of fluid so If I rip off a line I can just fill it with atf. Jesse

16. well, that was an overwellming yes. my old man always told me it could be run as a substitute but i've been running it full time. love the response time on this board! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i also use it as a matter of fact the pump on the blazer's are the same thing as the hummers and the military manuals call for 10w or atf but not together it has to be one or the other!!

18. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have allways used ATF. The stering box on my truck leaks quite a bit around the seals, I have been putting type-f fluid in it recently and it doesn't leak it out as quickly as dexron fluid, I need to bite the bullet and put another box on it anyway.

19. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I always use PSF only.
    Come on guys, the little bottle is maybe two bucks. Even when my lines were leaking (fixed that by now) I just used the Coastal brand PSF.
    I know we GM guys are cheap, but spend the extra quarter for PSF.
    -- Mike