Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do any of you run driveshaft loops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyrc, Aug 5, 2003.

1. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

How did you guys build them...I've got a few ideas, but I'd like to see what others have done. I plan on running one right at the transfer case and one at the pinion.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about a carrier bearing? If so, you can just buy those from a parts house and probably get the bracket from a yard.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think he's talking about one of these:

[​IMG]

It's designed to keep the driveshaft from flying around in the event of a U-joint failure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They're required equipment in drag racing if you're running slicks.

4. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

That pic is exactly what I'm talking about. I know it would be fairly simple, but I'd like to see what others have done and also who makes that kit in the pic. Thanks.

5. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

They are also required equipment for lost of mudracing events. Except the ones that I usually call driveshaft loops cover the whole driveshaft.

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

go to your local plumbing supply house and ask for a 4" riser clamp. it is the perfect shape for a driveshaft loop, is made of thick steel, and has bolt hole drilled already.

7. Fletch79

Fletch79 Registered Member

We used to put a piece of chain in, and then weld the links.
    Never got tested.
    Looked like as good a solution as any.

Darned cheap too.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a driveshaft loop made of 2 horseshoes welded together like this ---<>---- with pipes to the framerails on a 57 chevy--the tech inspectors at new england dragway werent impressed much....this was years ago,but they wouldnt let them run it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif:( /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I had seen those plumbing riser brackets at lowes and home depot and thought the same thing--perfect driveshaft loop!.I am forever using store bought stuff for something it was never intended to be,like chain link fence pipe for exhaust and nerf bars,ladder racks,it holds up good being galvinized and it welds good and best of all cheap!Beats wasting time making something when you can buy it already made,and reasonable too!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

hope your sanding the galvenized metal off before you weld on those poles. that is some nasty stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, I learned about the "zinc chills" a long time ago when I brazed galvanized furnace ductwork(pirated from the metal pile at the landfill) to my 72 blazers floor.Spent most of the day in the bathroom--they should call it the "zinc sh##s" /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIt was a few days before my innards felt nearly normal again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.Now I only weld or braze galvanized steel after grinding the zinc off,and use a fan + do it outdoors! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

for next time, milk is supposed to help and prevent the zinc sh#ts. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ya got pics of those riser clamps ? i went to menards, they had no clue what those where. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

glad to hear some folks will run driveshaft loops, I don't know why more people don't in our situations, truthfully I do know, I don't know how I will make one to keep up with my driveshaft travel and not cause dragging issues(my dad uses chain on his circle cars). After witnessing more than one car go end over end cause the shaft busted and dug in at speed I want one on my k5.

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've seen them tied into bracing over the axle tube before. That way there was no worry about it limiting articulation. As for mounting one just behind the t-case, not a bad idea either, and if it's close enough to the case there shoudn't be any problems with suspension travel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

front is the bigger worry, if the back u joint busts the shaft will just dangle and smack the ground and just fall out if you have a slip yoke, if the front joint lets loose you now have that shafted connected at the back of the car ready to dive into the ground and do some damage. The k5 will probably never go as fast as the cars I've seen hit the track and have problems but better safe than sorry.

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

When the rear lets go, the engine is still spinning the driveshaft and I'm sure it could get flailing around pretty good with nothing stopping it. I imagine it would rip through alot of sh*t!

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never thought of that, good point.

18. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Here ya go. One of ythese for a 6" pipe would probably work perfect. Know any commercial/industrial plumbers or sprinkler fitters? They could hook you up no sweat. Or just go to your local plumbing supply house. I don't know how many of these I've seen thrown out at the end of a job... Think I'll grab a few next time... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I made the crossover pipe in my exhaust act as a driveshaft loop..It is tucked up nice and high behind the rear yoke..It worked pretty well when I blew up my rear driveline last time, just held all the busted jusk out of the way until I got home...

Chris

20. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    front is the bigger worry, if the back u joint busts the shaft will just dangle and smack the ground and just fall out if you have a slip yoke, if the front joint lets loose you now have that shafted connected at the back of the car ready to dive into the ground and do some damage. The k5 will probably never go as fast as the cars I've seen hit the track and have problems but better safe than sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really if the rear shaft breaks up by the t-case, you have a really long and tough pole vault. The front won't even hardly hit the ground if it breaks by the front axle, plus many still have the Y pipe which will catch it.

FWIW