Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do Barn Door Burbs have pop out windows?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, do they? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never seen one that does. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif It would be a nice feature for camping and such! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, good airflow............. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Get her twisted up enough we could pop them out !!! I cracked my right side long 1/4 panel glass a week after I bought the Burb by twisting her up good.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you cracked a quarter window? thanks for putting the fear of god into me, now that I have factory tint windows in there...

in regards to the original question, no. the rear windows do not pop out like the van windows do. you could probably cobble them together like that if you wanted to fab brackets in there, but I don't think they came stock.. the main problem is they suck exhaust into them like a mad mofo when the windows are down... ( or, at least thats how my tailgate works... just pumps whatever crap ends up behind hte car into the cabin)

-Rich

6. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

blazzin,i been wanting to do that since the first summer i had without A.C.
    even went to the boneyard and looked through a bunch of old vans and it seems the van glass is either too big or too small too narrow or too wide to fit.i didnt try every year van glass but i tried a bunch.(guys in the yard loved me for bringing 20 pieces of perfect glass up to the front for them)
    my next idea is to buy or make the van window gasket and somehow fit them to my burbans door and see if i can get the burban glass to work like the vans window.hard part is drilling out safety glass for hinges and latches (just not with my factory tinted rears)
    goodluck,if you figure it out please let me know
    big,its my nightmare to break my rear 1/4 glass its worth more then the whole truck is.
    goodluck

7. Yes I was all twisted up and hit a bump and crack bang boom it was broken. $75 bucks in a junk yard for a factory tint replacement, I just never replaced it !!

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

only 75 bucks? I've never found one in a yard out here in AZ for less then 150, and thats only if they have one in stock... kinda the problem with nothing rusting out here, is trucks get used until they get into a serious enough accident, that they can't be driven any more, or they blow the engine, transmission, front end, and possibly rear axle. even then, the hulls are often retrofitted, and continue on in operation forever. ( I see more 60-72 trucks then 80-87 trucks on the road here in phoenix)

an even funner trick then finding glass for a 76-91 suburban? finding glass for a 73-75 suburban. they changed the rear quarter window design from a 1 piece seal to the newer 2 peice seal, and shrank the glass by about an inch in every direction. fortunately, the window opening is the same, or I'da been screwed when I tried to put in new windows in my 73 K20... ( the dealer doesn't even sell the glass, or seals for a 73-75)

-Rich

-Rich

9. The first place I went to told me $175 to $200 each side and then I found a place with about 5 Burbs and he said to grab one myself would be $75. I am a cheap bastard and never bought it, I just figured I'd bust it again.

10. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

$75 bucks man i come from the land of rotted burbans and i still cant find tinted 1/4 glass for less then $300
    looks like i need to do my shopping in KY.
    considering buying 1 of 2 70s burbans on e-bay right now with 454 and tinted glass just to be on the safeside.
    goodluck.

11. I have ran across a bunch of good deals on whole trucks, but I'd need a big ole warehouse or field to park the part trucks. I'd have my own scrap yard !!

12. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

YOU KNOW THE TRICK WITH YOUR GLASS IS TO HAVE A LOW DEDUCTABLE ON YOUR COMP. THEN IT DOESN'T COST TOO MUCH, TO YOU ATLEAST. WELL YOU HAVE TO HAVE GOOD INSURANCE THAT ISN'T GOING TO RAISE YOUR RATES FOR COMP CLAIMS. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I THINK I PAY 50 BUCKS FOR ANY GLASS I NEED AND MY RATES DON'T GO UP! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I own 2 vehicles from 197X, and none from 199X or newer, meaning I can not get full coverage on any vehicle, from any company... unless I get collector car insurance, which costs too much, limits how much you can drive it, and specifies the car has to be worth insuring for that miuch in the first place. if I break glass/windshields, I have to get it from a junker, or a part out. fortunately, I found a place that sells/installs new windshields for 100 bucks out the door, so I'm slightly happier about that situation.

-Rich