Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do brake boosters just suddenly start leaking vaccum?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 19, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My Suburban brakes were fine. then I put another front axle under it, bled the brakes, and the pedal was hard as a rock and felt like power brakes do without the motor running.

Noticed a hissing coming from somewhere around the vacuum booster. Where do they usually leak vacuum from?

2. mountainexplorer

Oops, how'd I do that. This was supposed to be in the '73-'91 Forum. Can I get it moved please? Thanks.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

dont feel bad i keep comin in here thinkin its the 73-91 forum, used to goin to the 3rd one down.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Then can just start leaking. And yes, that's what it will sound like. A hissing right from around the booster area.

John

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes they dop and its junk, time for another one i had ot drive a 75 C20 like this, its no fun, you have to stand on pedal with both feet and push hard. i got my 83 caprice with booster like this also, just a little hissing and have to stand on pedal really hard to stop. i put a new replacement booster on it that i took from another caprice and was whole new world, VERY easy brakes!

6. mountainexplorer

Thats what it was... this I found out after I was already hooked to the car trailer with a pickup and a parts cab on it.

Couldn't find another booster in the garage here, but I knew I had about 15 of them on parts trucks where I was going, so I drove very carefully with manual brakes towing the trailer Friday night 85 miles.

Changed it out for another one and the work fine now. The rubber looking seal? around where the rod pushes into the master cylinder was broken abart/worn out and leaking through there.