Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do brake line lengths need to be equal left and right?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 12, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I am installing some braided SS line on my rear discs and so I need to shorten my previous bent hard lines.
    So it got me to thinking. I had to put kind of a funky bend in one brake line just so it would be the same length as the other.
    Do the brake lines need to be the same lenght? If they weren;t, the difference would be about 6" in length difference.
    -- Mike

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Anyone else know this for sure?
    I don't want to redo the lines unequal then find out it causes the shorter one to grab first or something like that.
    -- Mike

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As stated NO. As long as there is no air in either line, it doesn't matter what length each is. Fluid does not compress, so differenences in length (especially the differences on vehicle frames) does not make a difference.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can be sure it doesn't make any difference, because the stock setup starts on one side (driver side) and goes a simple route to all four corners, do you think they are equal length?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif