Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do farts make you heavier or lighter?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandman, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

OK, we are having an argument at work about this. Lets say that your colon is full of gas. Do you weigh more before it gets out or after? Here are some ideas:

- You weigh the same. Its basically air.

- You get heavier. The gas is lighter than air so it does provide a small amount of lifting. Mabey milligrams but its there.

- You get lighter. The gas is full of poop particles that get carried out with the gas reducing weight. This assumes a no underwear condition as that would catch any poop particles and keep the weight.

Thoughts or ideas?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking too much time on your hands! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

I would have to say the same. But I can see how the others are valid points. Strange as that seems.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kris

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

Too deep a concept for me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, but I do know you are full of
    "it" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hell.. Pirate here we come...

But I say lighter...Or at least "fresher"...lol [​IMG]

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just love to be in a grocery store and let a silent and seriously smelly one in the isle next to some people as i'm walking by /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I feel lighter after ripping a good one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And I would think that the odor would have something to do with the weight issue.................

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

You should try crop dusting Muddy. Let everyone experience the wonderful...um... arouma. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

9. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, I think you stay the same. It is just basically are and all it's doing is puffing out your abdomen. It's not adding to your weight.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've been trying to figure out a way to measure the mass of passed gas and compare it to strait air. Maybe run it through a spectrum analyzer to see what volume of contents I get and then calculate it from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And I would think that the odor would have something to do with the weight issue.................

[/ QUOTE ] That's a good point. So would the stinkier ones weigh more ??? They do tend to linger longer then the less oderous ones.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You actually get lighter. Remember, smell is particle based, so when you smell a raunchy one, there are little particles of poop in your nose. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

At least this is what ive been told.

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

where's greg72 and his rocket science answers when you really need him /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Since the gas in our intestines comes form several sources: air we swallow, gas seeping into our intestines from our blood, gas produced by chemical reactions in our guts, and gas produced by bacteria living in our guts, its hard to calculate what density the fart will be.

On average, a person produces about half a liter of fart gas per day, distributed over an average of about fourteen daily farts.

Fart travel time depends on atmospheric conditions such as humidity, temp. and wind speed and direction, the molecular weight of the fart particles, and the distance between the fart transmitter and the fart receiver. take note: generally if the fart is not detected within a few seconds, it will be too dilute for perception and will be lost into the atmosphere forever.

A basic fart is Methane gas, which is odorless and lighter than air, however the gasses that make a fart smell (tiny amounts of hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane combine with hydrogen sulfide and ammonia) are heavier than air so I would have to agree with Z3PR that you will feel lighter after letting one go.

and yes...I too have too much time on my hands /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence we're talking about farts. I think they need to make a pill to give farts color. The worse they smell, the nastier the color. It'd be kinda like a early warning system in a way. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since the gas in our intestines comes form several sources: air we swallow, gas seeping into our intestines from our blood, gas produced by chemical reactions in our guts, and gas produced by bacteria living in our guts, its hard to calculate what density the fart will be.

On average, a person produces about half a liter of fart gas per day, distributed over an average of about fourteen daily farts.

Fart travel time depends on atmospheric conditions such as humidity, temp. and wind speed and direction, the molecular weight of the fart particles, and the distance between the fart transmitter and the fart receiver. take note: generally if the fart is not detected within a few seconds, it will be too dilute for perception and will be lost into the atmosphere forever.

A basic fart is Methane gas, which is odorless and lighter than air, however the gasses that make a fart smell (tiny amounts of hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane combine with hydrogen sulfide and ammonia) are heavier than air so I would have to agree with Z3PR that you will feel lighter after letting one go.

and yes...I too have too much time on my hands /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Average of 14 daily farts huh! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I don't know, I'm gonna have to start counting from now on cuz I could swear I rip that many before I get outta bed.. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So even girls fart 14 times a day on average? My girlfriend INSISTS that girls don't fart. Past girlfriends have told me the same.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So even girls fart 14 times a day on average? My girlfriend INSISTS that girls don't fart. Past girlfriends have told me the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are full of poop.

as far as the weight goes, i would think that the instant after u tooted you would be slightly lighter than the instant before. Gases weigh something, regardless of whether or not they are lighter than air...

j

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I say the stinkier the fart is the more it weighs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Fart into a plastic bag and weigh it........Then light it on fire /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif