Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do gas tanks from 2nd Generation Blazers fit 1st Generations?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Mar 25, 2001.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

May 18, 2000
    I can get a good deal on a gas tank for a 75 Blazer and I want to know if it will fit? Could a Suburban tank fit? My tank leaks like a siv.

Thanks for your help,

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Apr 28, 2000
    Yes, but with some modification to your truck. I had to put one in my blazer about 4 years ago because mine rotted out too and 15.00 for a junkyard 31 gal tank sounded a lot better than the 150.00 for the poly stock replacement.

Here's what needs to be done. The last crossmember has to be relocated about 2 foot forward and if your rear bumper isn't welded to the frame, (like mine was when I got it), you'll have to put in another cross member at the back of the frame. C-channel will work great, just cut it to length and weld or bolt it in. Then get some 20ga strap about 2" wide and use it to hang the tank from or see if you'll be able to use the factory ones from the '75. Bolt up the straps to the "front" crossmember, slide your tank under the back of the truck and lift it with a friend or rachet-straps up to where it needs to be then fit and drill the straps or fit the stock straps and there you go. The only problem is the tank will have to go in backwards to mate up to your gas filler neck.

I also bent the flanges UP so that I could get the tank up between the framerails and higher in the truck. It barely hangs down below the framerails now because I have a three inch body lift on mine too. The extra 10 gallons of gas is nice too and the sending unit just needs to be wired and the gauge works just like it's supposed to.

72 K-5, 33x12.5's, 350/350/205,12-bR,d44F soon to be 39.5'x15.5s, EFI502/nv4500/doubler205, d60F, d70R. Stay tuned.