Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do i blame the starter solenoid? ***update*** problem solved!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Magnus88, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Magnus88

Magnus88 Registered Member

6.2L + TH700. It har been starting fine (as soon as last night) but this morning when i turned the key all i heard was a high pitched grinding noice. Like when you turn the key when the engine is running /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I get under the truck (32 F and snowy as he** of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif) and drop the starter. On the flexplate i can see the edges of the gears where the starter drive gear should engage are a bit worn. Not broke or anything just a little worn just on that single place.

My thoughts are that the solenoid has gone bad and therefore the starter won't fully engage the flexplate and just grind the edge (wich also would explain the noice). Does this sound right? And if so, how can i jump-test the solenoid in my garage to rule out anything else?

Thanks in advance guys... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Do i blame the starter solenoid?

Hook your jumper cables to your truck battery...then connect the negitive to the caseing of the starter. Then you need to hook the positive to the big battery post of the starter solenoid. Hold that starter againist the ground or a work bench...and then take a screwdriver and tap the battery post(where the pos cable is) to the "s" post...where there is normally a single small wire. Connecting these two posts will make the starter fire right up. Watch the gear pop in and out. If it does not do this fully or does it slowly....something is wrong. The solenoid seldom go out. It is mostly like that is called the bendex...inside the starter. Cheapest to just get a new(rebuilt) one with a warranty from a local parts chain.
    Blake

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

either that or you are missing a couple or three teeth on the plate, my rig has this issue with the flywheel right now, every few starts the flywheel ends up stopped where the missing teeth spot is at where the bendix drive gear comes out and contacts thw wheel so i have to shift tranny around to move engine that moves the flywheel so that the bendix gear will hit teeth and turn engine ove,r kinda sucks, but not much i can do about it for now til i can take and buy a new wheel and take truck to stepdads garage and put onto lift and pull drivetrain, ill live with it for now

if your flexplate teeth are worn down too much then it iwl be time for new flexplate from local parts house and also new bendix drive gear, they are abouit 10 bucks and flexplate you can either find good used for free or cheap, or but new around 25 bucks probably, this repair should csot under 40 or 50 bucks max

unfortunately a new flywheel for my rig is going to cost at very least 65 bucks if i am lucky, cuz i am pretty sur ei have the big 12" clutch, hmm..

while i am at it i am going to replace rear main seal it is one piec eon my rig and is getting wet drippy from clutch cover area. and then i will need new clutch and throwout bearing and so forth, it will be about 200 or 225 buck repair, minimum

good luck

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Randy, I've got a flywheel for your truck if it has the two piece rear main motor. Too bad my mom's stupid friend took my old engine outside to get rained on, I had just had it turned and it had less than 1,000 miles on it at the time that I pulled that engine out. It'll probably have to be turned but you can have it if you pay shipping or we could trade something if I ever come down there.

5. Magnus88

Ok did the test like you said and it worked perfectly?!? The bendix (sp) shot out of the casing when i shorted the cicuits. This confuses me. I know the starter motor itself is working otherwise there would have been no sound when i turned the key. Maby i went at this the wrong way? If the cables going to the solenoid are bad maby that would cause the bendix not to engage properly... thats the only thing i can think of other than that the starter somehow suddenly got a bit out of alignment.

I still have R72K5's option but the flexplate was hardly damaged at all. It looked perfect eccept for a few teeth that was a tad worn on one edge where the starter would not engage when i tried starting yeserday.

6. Magnus88

Allright! I thought i would update this post for future reference.
    What i failed to mention in my original post is that one of the bolts holding the starter to the block was broken 1/2" from the edge of the hole. This combined with the fact the the front starter brace was missing (i didn't realise there was one untill i started searching for possible causes) resulted in poor alignment of the starter. The hole in the starter for the one bolt holding the whole thing up got oval over time and one day it just was too much i guess.

The fix was pretty easy. I welded togeather two pieces of metal and drilled a hole in each end for the starter and the bolt going in the block (front). Then i got a new bolt and cut it down to go in the hole with the broken bolt. I thought it was too much hassle to try and drill and EZ-out it. I see an engine rebuild somewhere in the future anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Then i just slapped the thing togeather again and /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif ... it worked like brand new.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Magnus