Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have a bad front Detroit??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

When I lock my hubs in I have a terrible grinding noise coming from the front diff only when I let off the gas. When I get back in the gas the noise stops. It sounds like gears not matching up or a hub that is not fully engaged. I have replaced the hubs with new Warn standards so I know they are not the problem. Last night I pulled the cover and rechecked the pattern and backlash and all looks good. I talked to tractech and they said it cannot be the Detroit check the Pinion bearings. So pulled the driveshaft off and there is no play in the yoke at all. So I took it for another drive, with the hubs locked in and in 4-Hi, going in a straight line about 35mph when I let off the gas it grinds like hell, now while coasting if I swerve back and forth the grinding stops like the Detroit unlocks, but when the wheels straighten back out it grinds again. So now I unlock the hubs but keep it in 4-Hi and it still grinds, and if I swerve back and forth it does not stop like it did when the hubs were locked. I think the Detroit is bad. What else could it be?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Sorry for the long post but this has got me baffled.

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like you are missing the C clip that goes onto the stub shaft to hold the axle shafts out intot he hubs! I suggest that you pull the hubs off again and look for wear around the splines where the hubs slide onto the stub shaft! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

No, the clips are there. I just swapped in brand new Warn hubs and used the new c-clips provided for the stubs. There is also a new outer lock ring that goes in after the hub body. Plus it still makes the noise with the hubs unlocked.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds to me like you are missing the C clip that goes onto the stub shaft to hold the axle shafts out intot he hubs! I suggest that you pull the hubs off again and look for wear around the splines where the hubs slide onto the stub shaft! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never put that clip in mine. It wouldn't fit when I swapped out my auto hubs so I left it out. The instructions that came with my Warns said it was fine to run without it.

I'd physically check my pinion bearings if I were you. What you're describing is textbook for a pinion bearing problem. Are you finding metal shavings in the diff?

5. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

When I drained the diff last night there was some metal 'flakes' in the fluid, they looked gold in color? They were real fine I could hardly feel them when I rubbed it between my fingers.

If it is Pinion bearings wouldn't it be noisy all the time?