Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have a Gov-locker???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Dec 14, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Just got back inside from romping in the snow. I was looking out the window like the cool guys do when wheeling and thought I'd see if I could get away with running in 2WD. Well, to my suprise BOTH rear tires spun and I went nowhere. I just swapped in a set of 1 ton axles from a diesel truck not too long ago, is there any way to tell if I have a gov locker in the rear? Both tires spin in oposite directions when the truck is on stands and only one tire will spin in some situations. I don't have any information on the donor truck so the G80 code means nothing. Thanks for any help... hopefully it's just a tight set of spider gears and both tires are losing traction. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my open 12 bolt will spin both in certain situations.. its probably open, and since its snow..there isnt much to keep both from spinning..

3. TruckNutzDude

I really hope it's just an equal lack of traction. I know I can spin both front tires with the Dana 60 in mud... Does anyone know what a gov-lock would look like if I took the rear diff. cover off?

4. Confedneck

i think on a 14bff, the govlock carrier has 3 holes in the carrier? i might be wrong though..

5. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    i think on a 14bff, the govlock carrier has 3 holes in the carrier? i might be wrong though..

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone confirm this? If so, I'll be out in the snow with a ratchet pulling the diff. cover off tonight! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

govlok was what was in at least the 12 and 10 bolts since late 70s but after 73 at least, and is in the 14 bolt SF, but i dunno about 14 FF, i think 14 FF didnt get gov but got soemthing else, some kind of lok unit, i need to look in the GM data book and i could find out

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep govlock has the 3 big holes around the outside open has 4. Gov-locks in a 14 bolt aren't that bad it's the 10 and 12 bolt's that are notorious for grenading /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yup 3 holes in the carrier for gov lock

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Can someone confirm this? If so, I'll be out in the snow with a ratchet pulling the diff. cover off tonight!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is true. I stripped all the insides of my gov-lock. So becareful if you do have a gov-lock.

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

is it true that if you have a gov lock you cant put a detroit in it?

lmk
    Nick

11. Confedneck

nick, that is correct, you have to find an open carrier to replace the govlock carrier..

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yup its true, the carriers are different for a Gov-Lock and open. You have to have an open carrier to put in a Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Yes with every body else on the 3 hole gov-loc. On a better note, well sort of, tractech (as in lockright and no-slip) makes a no-slip locker for a 14FF gov-loc case. It isn't a bad way to go for many. Depends on how hard you want to wheel though. I have no personal expierence with it.

14. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes with every body else on the 3 hole gov-loc. On a better note, well sort of, tractech (as in lockright and no-slip) makes a no-slip locker for a 14FF gov-loc case. It isn't a bad way to go for many. Depends on how hard you want to wheel though. I have no personal expierence with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am hard on my rig /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll be even harder on it when I get my 39.5" Boggers... I can't (don't want to) check and see if I have a grenade lock right now due to the freezing rain. I'll check after work, hopefully it's not a gov-lock....pleeeeeaase don't be a gov lock /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This is what an open 14b ff carrier looks like with one half removed. You can see where the 4 "holes" thing comes from. A Gov-Loc carrier will have 3 rather than 4.
    [​IMG]

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Are those spyders welded to the cross shaft? I have never seen it done that way. If it is how well did it work? (semi-hijack begins here)

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Are those spyders welded to the cross shaft? I have never seen it done that way. If it is how well did it work? (semi-hijack begins here)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to say it, but do a search. Kidjethro has been pimping those pictures for a long time on here, and from the looks of it, he did a great job.

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are welded to the cross shaft, in 8 seperate spots. Rather than go into it in detail, here is a link to a post I replied to with more pictures and an explaination of how I did it.

14b welding Jethro style.

19. TruckNutzDude

No Grenade-Lock /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I didn't even pull the cover yet. Just roasted one tire in back and one tire in front in 4WD. If I'm not mistaken that is an open carrier /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif what a relief.

20. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Not so fast, if the Gov-Lock is not working it will sometimes act like an open diff.
    To be sure/positive just remove the cover !

good luck