Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have a tranny or oil cooler.. ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BNC, Aug 18, 2003.

1. BNC

BNC Guest

Hi all, A real rookie at many things mechanical. I am in the process of ordering up some parts to begin to improve the drivability/reliabilty and longentivity of my seldom used and stock 88 blazer. In reading some of the threads I thought ordering up a tranny cooler would be a good idea with my 700r4 and 32's (265 75r16) with 3:42 gears. In looking, I see a small cooler on the drivers side in front of the radiator with input and output hoses that run to the oil filter area. Is this an oil cooler or does it somehow internally go to the tranny? The sticker with the truck states it has a HD trailering special equip package but no mention specifically of a cooler of any type. The Air conditioning plumbing seems to run into the radiator on the passanger side. Can someone help explain what I am looking at ? Thanks in advance,
    Brett

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

that is indeed an engine oil cooler.your tranny cools through the radiator.buy the biggest tranny cooler that will fit.heat is bad,more so on a 700r4,and the cooler you keep it,the longer it will live.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

the A/C condensor sits in front of the radiator, that's why it looks like it's going to the radiator. the small cooler on the drivers side is an oil cooler. the extra lines under the core support for the radiator are for the power steering. the open gap on the passanger side of the grill (across from the oil cooler) is where you'll be mounting your tranny cooler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had to run my cooler lines under the radiator support because the A/C condensor took up so much room, you'll probably have to do the same. Also don't forget to hook your tranny lines up to the radiator THEN the cooler to keep the fluid at the right temperature. That means hook the bottom line to the radiator and the top line to the auxiliary cooler (that's the return line). you might also want to get a "stacked plate" cooler instead of the finned and tubed style, you'll thank yourself later for spending the extra cash. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Wow, that was a long post!

4. BNC

BNC Guest

Awesome thanks for the fast replies,, B&M 24,000 GVW stacked cooler, flowmaster cat back exhaust and catco free flowing cat will be ordered from summitt tonight
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks again!

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

nice choices, the flowmaster 50 series is too quiet for some, but I like it and the 3" will out flow any dual 2 1/4" exhaust out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Before you run out and buy a tranny cooler, make sure you don't already have one. My '90 with the trailering package has an oil, and tranny cooler. The tranny cooler is located on the passenger side, infront of the radiator, and is just left of the center support and is pretty well hid by the grille.