Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have anything to worry about?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jimmy84, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

I have a 350 boared 60 over. I was wondering if I should be worried about it overheating.The mechanic told my mom that I shouldn't offroad whats so ever because mine is boared so much. Whats ya'll expirience with engines boared over like this. If it helps, i have a 4 core radiator, hedman hedders, edelbrock 600 cfm carb, edelbrock performer rpm intake manifold.
    thanks, Jarret

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

with the 4 core radiator, as long as you have a good fan and shroud, you really shouldnt have too much of a problem.

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

That is a crock. There have been many many .060 over 350's running not only on the road but RACING with no problems. Plus, coupled with your 4 core radiator, I think you have nothing to worry about. As with any motor, make sure you keep it tuned and the cooling system in good shape. Heck, I run a .030 over 400 block (406 ci) that *supposedly* is prone to heating problems for over 5 years with not an ounce of trouble. Lots of what you hear is not based in fact, its' more opinion.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If the engine work was done properly, you shouldn't have a problem. Just becasue it's bored 60 over, doesn't mean it can't be used as intended.

I mean, think about that. The only people I know who have taken an engine apart and bored it out to .60, did it becasue they needed a racing engine. If it couldn't take abuse, then what would be the point?

Just make sure you don't overheat, and if you do start to heat up, stop and let it cool off.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

5. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

Thanks for the help. Now i can put my mom in check

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I've noticed that they do tend to run hotter, especially durring the summer where temps reach 110+/-10 around here. I asked my dad that same question, my dad has been a mechanic for over 50yrs and he's seen that some over heat and some don't.

ARQ.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Nothing to be concerned about whatsoever - Most off-road racers run .060 over or more. I had the 5.0 in my F150 punched out ..060, and it ran absolutely no hotter, actually a few degrees cooler.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

8. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I wheel the wee out of mine and it does not heat up past 205 on a long hill climb on a hot day. No worries here.