Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have DW???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nrose07, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif OK, the recent changes are 3/4ton 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear with 4.10's, Edelbrock shocks, and dual steering stabalizers, ORD swaybar connects, poly everything. Everything has been great, driving it like this the last month. This past weekend went to the dunes, pulled a trailer 2,000lbs, and the last hour of the drive was on a rough road. Saturday had to go home for a few hours, about 80 miles, no trailer.
    It did great until I was about 4 miles from home when I started to break for a stop at about 60. Front end started to vibrate, steering wheel shake and brakes pulse. Not real bad like people talk about but not fun either. It stopped whe I did, had a few more hints of it but was mostly gone. Went back to the dunes, did some wheeling, and then towed tralier home, then GF drove to town and did it to her.
    I just jacked it up and checked all the joints, everything is tight. Bearings are tight, everything looks good. Need help here, need to be driving a few hundred miles this weekend.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If it only happens when you step on the brakes it is not DW. It is a warpped rotor.

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

What is DW? Thanks!

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That would be my guess too. The rotors overheated and became warped.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

The dreaded DEATH WOBBLE... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, like Chevyfumes said...........Death Wobble.........do a search, you'll get more posts than you have time to read. Good info tho......... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

No its not the rotors, they would pulse when cold after a warp. Mine do not. I've been current on the DW but not sure why mine? And its not DW, more WTF-Wobble. Thanks guys, Matt.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

WTF-Wobble...I like that.
    With a pulsating brake peddle I don't know what else it could be but brakes. Does it ever happen when you arn't on the brakes?

9. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

That's not altogether true. Hot brakes caused the rotor to warp, but the vibration you are feeling is a function of how hard you are applying the brake and what speed you are traveling. The harder you brake and the higher the speed, the more any warp in the rotor is trasferred through to the steering. Death Wobble is completely different and much worse.

10. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

It will do it off the brakes, I think. Guess I'll have to pay more attention.