Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have HEI? Hey 87-91 owners

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Nov 6, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I do not know if I have HEI. The coil is not on the cap, but next to it. I got a new cap today and I am using the diagram in my Haynes manual for HEI. The regular ignition has the same firing order, but its off by one place on the cap. For everyone with TBI, where does your #1 spark plug wire go? Is it in the front on the drivers side or the passengers side? i have wired mine three times today and every time it seems OK at idle and lower rpms but when i get on it it seems to bog down and when I let off the gas it slows down a lot.

90K5

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

your dist. may have been pulled at some point in time and that may NOT be where #1 cylinder is!!!! pull out your #1 cyl. spark plug,and turn motor over by hand,,when you feel the motor push out a lot of air you should be on the compression stroke.. insert a small screwdriver in spark plug hole and turn motor until top dead center... then take off dist. cap,, look at the rotor and where it's pointing,,,this is where your #1 cylinder is at... just line up the dist from here to the closest terminaland ,,,,voila!!it's close to being perfect..you may need to play with it to get it just the way you want it..

oh yeah,,just print this out so you don't have to keep running back and forth from the truck to computer,,you'll get everything greasy then!!![​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

You should have HEI being a 90, but don't quote me on that. Check your timing, if it seems ok at idle and then misses or loses power you may have accidentally moved the distibuter while removing and replacing the cap and rotor. Done it many times myself.
    Godd Luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll get my timing checked tomorrow. i don't have a timing gun, but the guys at the Mobil down the street (who all have old Chevys[​IMG]) will do it for me for free.[​IMG]

Hey rich'90-so all I have to do if I moved it a little is to fix the timing? Is it bad to drive it while it is off? I'll only be going like 3 miles to school

90K5

5. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

90k5 you should be alright driving it for awhile. I am sure the guys at the station know this but make sure they disconnect the computer when they do the timing.
    Good Luck.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You dont disconnect the computer. You disconnect a wire located on the drivers side on the firewall.This bypasses the electronic spark contol. The sticker under the hood tells you what color it is. On my 89 it is a black and tan wire. This wire must be disconnected to properly set timing. Also set timing to specs stated on the sticker.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I figured out what I did wrong. Actually I did two things wrong.
    1. I bought a "Concord" distributor cap and rotor at AutoZone
    2. I didn't push the rotor down far enough on the shaft.
    I ended up taking the POS back to AutoZone and they gave me my money back so I went to the dealer and got AC Delco. She's running great now. I also saw that my air cleaner to TBI gasket was about half gone so I got another one and that helped too.

90K5