Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do i have hydro assist??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

not to sure or not? i have the 6.5l diesel and it looks like its got the hydro assist booster thingy? somebody told me i do, but am not sure? can anybody clearify this for me??
    -Juice /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    oh and another thing, if i do have it, that would explain why if a power steering line goes out, my brakes go out as well? cuz i just had that happen like a week ago, driving down the road, the steering wheel locked up, had no breaks and i was in the left turn lane..scary as hell.. ended up the steel line to the pump was hand loose and dumping ps fluid all over...so thats what makes me think that i do have it?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You have hydroboost power brakes, which just means that the power assist for the brakes is provided by the hydraulic steering assist system, as opposed to engine vacuum. Usually when people say hydro assist they are talking about an add-on steering ram to help with steering.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

No you don’t
    what you do have is power steering and the lines that go to your brakes is standard on all diesels that have a low vacuum and need the boost of the pump

this is the hydro ast ram
    [​IMG]

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

The hydro boost system does not have the large round vacuum booster connected to the master cylinder. If you have the high pressure lines running between your power steering box and the master cylinder, then you have the hydro boost system. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

shaggy you are fast you just got me look at the post time

6. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

man u guys are fast! ummm... well im not sure if i have those big lines u are talking about, i will have to go look.. but i gotta go job hunting! thanx guys

7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here's what a brake hydroboost setup looks like, at least on a 1 ton 454. Distinguishable by the two hoses behind the brake fluid reservoir.

[​IMG]