Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have this Correct ? Dana 44 and Newer 10B same Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, May 9, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

After many hours of searching and reading, I think the general opinion is that the Dana 44 (from an 70 ish) is no better than my 90 10 Bolt as far as durability. I have a chance to get a 14 FF with 4:10 gears and 2 Dana 44's one is open with 3:73 6 Lug and the other has a Detroit with warn shafts , 8 lug and 4:10 gears. Also in the deal is 12 bolt rear with 3:73. I'm looking to upgrade my K5 and will definitely use the 14 ff in the rear. Is it worth the time to put in the Dana 44?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the one D44 has 4.10's, warn shafts, and a detroit then yes I would take the time to swap it in. That is if you are going to use the 14bff with 4.10 gears too.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The D44 with detroit and warn shafts would be better than stock, but not as tuff as a D60. But it should only take a couple of hours to switch the front and you should be able to use your old calipers so you won't have to mess with the brakes. And the 8 lug will match the rear wheels so only have to carry one spare.

4. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

I'm definatley using the 14FF, But I wasn't keen on the front being locked since it is my daily driver in the Snow and Ice and we get a ton off it here. I already have 4:10 in the front and was waiting for Eaton or Ox lock to come out with thier manual lockers.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Well if you get alot of snow, then you might want to keep your front axle then and just get a posi. But I would still get the axle with the warn axles, detroit, etc. When you go to convert your front axle to 8 lug swap in the warn shafts too, that way you get the strength upgrade. Then sell the D44 with the detroit with your stock axles in it. That is what I would do. Maybe buy some CTM joints for the front too, or the HD Spicers.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Although the axles from the d44 and his 10bolt are both 30 spline, they are not interchangeable. Meaning he couldn't use the warn shafts. I am pretty sure that the stub shafts are interchangeable though.