Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have to drop the T-case??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4machine, Mar 16, 2002.

1. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Well my 4inch lift kit finally came, with 4 springs all around. I have yet to install it, but I was just wondering, do I HAVE to drop my transfer case. Or is a drop only necessary when driveline vibrations occur? Well since i'm under there, should I drop it anyways? Will the change in the angle of the engine effect anything like the distributer or the fan?

thanks

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Drop it anyways.. I didn't drop it for about 6 months.. I had no vibration either.. But just after I dropped it. I lost my front CV joint.. Then about 6 months later I lost my slip yoke... I think it was do to stain on both...Just my .02....Dan

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you might as well drop it. I was running a 4" susp lift and it really took care of the vibrations. You'll also extend the life of your driveline if you drop it. On top of that, its one of the easiest modifications you can do.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just did a drop on mine. If ya dont want to pay someone for the kit, you can use a couple of old shock bushing skeeves and cut them down to 1 inch. Thats what I did and it has been working great for the past 6 months. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

4x4m, only drop it if needed. Why give up an inch of the lift you just put on? Also, it twists your motor mounts, can cause the fan to contact the shroud (mine did, I had to trim it), puts the cap closer to the firewall (I've heard of it making contact, but mine doesn't) and finaly for goka it will make things worse on your CV for the front driveshaft, ie steeper angle.
    Now, after saying all that, there is a good bet you will need to if your '83 still has its NP208. The fixed yoke cases are more tolerant than the slip yoke ones.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

when i look at my transfer cased that has been dropped, it almost seems like it puts more of an angle on the front driveline, is this true? or is just optical illusion

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

True, see above.

8. liv'n-large

liv'n-large Registered Member

I have 15 inches of lift on my k5 and dropped my 208 t-case mounts and wound up breaking my t-case adapter in half then swapped in the good old 205 and will never lower a transfer case mount ever again I was about 5 mies from home when a huge cloud of smoke rolled out from under my truck while doing 55mph and heard a horible noise coming from under my rig stopped and lokked under my transfer case was hanging by the shift linkage and resting on the driveline. Man did that expierience realy suck.

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running 8" on my one ton K10. My 205 is dropped 1 1/8" via a rectangular piece of steel plate. Do Not Use Those Stupid Aluminum Pucks. They will come loose again and again. You will have to clearance grind your CV to allow it to operate at more angle. Remember that your yoke angles need to be exactly opposite in the rear. Also, for the 15" lifted K5....What were you thinking with 15" of lift. My 8" clears 44" swampers great with fender trimming. I also don't think that dropping the t case caused it to blow up.