Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have to DROP the Transfer case? Got a vibe after....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Mar 16, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, finally got around to test driving the k5 with the new rear 6 inch springs. I had 6 inches before but they were blocks and never had a vibe issue. Drove around the block and had pretty noticable vibes last night. The springs are shimed and tight. Should I drop the transfer case? Will this help or just cover up the need to by a new driveshaft?

Thanks as always for input. (the ujoints are fine)

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

With the addition of the new springs, are the driveshaft angles the same as before?

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ummm....really couldn't tell you, but my guess would be no since there is a vibe now. What is the easiest way to check the angle? Is there a cutout or something I can use?

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

There is a protractor thing some people use. I was just wondering if there was a noticable difference.

Do you have a cv style shaft or the regular one? Take a look at the angles. On a cv style, the axle pinion shou;d be pointed directly at the tcase. If you have the other style, the angles should be equal but opposite.

There is a place that sells angled shims that bolt to the spring pack, but I can't remember who it was that I bought mine from. I wanna sasy it was avalanche engineering or something like that.