Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i have to grind off my old spring hangers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Oct 6, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

they seem to be riveted on from the front and rear, so i cant really un bolt them, and i need to install my ORD flip kit, so how do i go about getting the old spring hanger off? get my grinder out and hit all the rivets or what?

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes. Either grind them off, torch them off, or hit them an air chisel. You could ask them to come off nicely /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they seem to be riveted on from the front and rear, so i cant really un bolt them, and i need to install my ORD flip kit, so how do i go about getting the old spring hanger off? get my grinder out and hit all the rivets or what?

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like drilling rivets out personally.

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

when you take those off dont forget to put them up for sell so all the midwest and northeastern people can replace their rusted out hangers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

eeek. I want a air hammer! I need to get all the rivets out of my frame soon... eeee /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    when you take those off dont forget to put them up for sell so all the midwest and northeastern people can replace their rusted out hangers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I would tourch them off. Besides you can't give those hangers away, so your not losing anything.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont have a torch, i have a small air chisle thing, and a grinder, but i think i'll put some 24 grit flap discs on there and go to town /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've had good results with cutting them down the middle with the grinder and a cut off wheel. Then taking a chisel and hammer and hitting them from the side and they will come off on half at a time. Once the head is off then take a pnch and hit the center and it will fly out the other side. I have it down to a 2 /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif minute job once all the tools are out.

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had good results with cutting them down the middle with the grinder and a cut off wheel. Then taking a chisel and hammer and hitting them from the side and they will come off on half at a time. Once the head is off then take a pnch and hit the center and it will fly out the other side. I have it down to a 2 /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif minute job once all the tools are out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah what he said works also. Get some of those thin cutting disk. Cut an "x" in the heads and you can chisel them off then punch them out. Unless you have a tourch.....and about 2 mins to spare. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I usually X them then cut each part of the X off with a grinder or cut off wheel. Its not the fastest but mentally it works for me. Seems like I am making more progress when I see bits flying off rather than cutting and cutting and cutting then having the whole head pop off.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will try the x's and the t's and the -'s when I go to do it. All I have is a dieing grinder, and a hammer...

12. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Good timing with this post I should be doing the same in a couple weeks tops. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

buy an angle grinder steve. Invaluable tool. If I had to buy a new one every 6 months I would.... have.... ok 2

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I do have an angle grinder, 7", 4.5" and 5"... if your refering to "dieing" i meant its old and worn out.

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So you mean dying grinder... I think he must have thought you meant die grinder which is a totally different thing. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah, dying/dieing, same thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    YEah I know what a die grinder is. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dont have a torch or a air chisel, so I basically use a 4.5" grinder to grind the head flush with the bracket... once all of them are that way, i hammer the bracket a couple of times and remove it... then i use a punch and hammer the remainder of the rivet out the other side. Sometimes they are a real PITA and hang on, so I will carefully grind them down almost flush with the frame and try again with the punch/hammer. Some come out easier than others, but patients seems to be the key.

j

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I use my CP $49 air chisel and it knocks them off in seconds with a good hard chisel.

19. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My snap on air hammer works real good with the proper bits. Once I figured it out it takes about 5 minutes a side.

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I dissagree--a lot of people up here have to pay the dealer some good cash for new spring hangers,and most of the GM trucks I see in the boneyards here have them chopped off already if they were not rusted--in fact most of the yards cut the hangers off and sell them along with the leaf springs,knowing the hangers are probably rotted to death.Maybe you cant sell them for much money,but there is a demand for them up here at least!.
    I posted a while back about how one guy gets his rivets out at the boneyard--he uses an all steel camping hatchet he found in the trunk of one of the junk cars--he simply places the hatchet between the hanger and the frame,puts his safety goggles on,and whacks the backside on the hatchet with a 5lb.sledge--about 3 or 4 whacks per rivet,and they fly off like bullets!.Its kinda dangerous,but I watched in amazement as he took off a set of rear leaf springs and hangers in about 10 minites! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif