Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I Have to replace my camshaft if I am goinging to replace my lifters.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by josephn, Jan 22, 2001.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I have and 82 K5 Blazer with the 6.2 diesel and was wondering if I have to get a new cam when I replace my lifters and pushrods?
    And if I replace my lifters and push rods should I replace my rocker arms.

Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Camshaft? Yes. Rockers? Maybe. Pushrods, another maybe. If you ahve enough money to do them all, do them all. If you want to know that you have new parts that should, playing percentages, go 100,000 miles with no problems, replace them all. Of all things, the camshaft is more important. If you wipe out lobes on the camshaft because of the new lifters (the lifters and cam wear together) you get lots of metal in the rest of your engine. Not good. Then you have the pleasure of ripping all your hard work apart again, AND replacing the lifters, 'cause when a lobe goes flat, it almost always takes the lifter(s) with it. Rocker arms, check the "ball" and the fulcrum for wear and galling if you don't want to replace them. The pushrods you need to put on glass and roll them (after cleaning) to see if they are perfectly flat. The stock rockers have to be dirt cheap (less then $40 for a set) and the pushrods the same, about $30 for TRW pieces.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Thanks thats all I needed to know.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Doesn't the 6.2 Diesel have a roller cam? I seem to recall that was a big deal when that engine first came out. If so, then you don't have to replace the cam when replacing the lifters. They aren't matched to each other like a flat tappet cam and lifters are.

Let us know how much those lifters cost. I'm sure they are not cheap! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I will let you know when I pick them up.

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

WHY are you replacing them???

ken

7. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Yah It is a roller cam.

8. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Because I have the heads off to replace a blown head gasket. And was contemplating replacing my lifters, pushrods and rocker arms. And wasn't sure if since it was a roller cam if I had to replace the cam as well.

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You probably don't need to replace anything, unless there is obvious damage. Take the pushrods to a flat surface and roll them to insure that they're straight, if so, THEY'RE FINE! Inspect the rocker arms for galling, inspect the lifter rollers for pitting. If you check the pieces out and they're all good, WHY replace them???

ken