Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I have wiring issues, or not...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, May 17, 2005.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, I thought I was having serious wiring issues... now I am not so sure.Everythign worked find before the engine swap, now it won't turn over w/ the new motor. I got out the test light, and when the key is turned on, the power wire to my HEI plug gets power, and when I turn the key to the start position the exciter wire to the starter gets power, but it wont turn over... did my starter take a sh!t while it was sitting on the back of the truck in the garage???? And the weird thing is, even w/ the key on I still don't get power to my heater or wipers, or headlights (long story, but they come on w/ the key...) but I do get power to my HEI??? What is the story? It will turn over if I arc it across the starter (but it sounds kinda funny...)

2. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Did you reconnect all of the ground straps from the engine to the firewall? There are typically two.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

JUST GOT HER FIRED OFF!!!!! Turns out that the exciter wire to the starter was good at the firewall where I could test it easily, but bad at the starter... replaced the wire and it is good to go now!
    Still don't have any power to the headlights, wipers, or heater... but the truck runs again!!!!

New motor has a little tick... not sure if it is a motor noise or exhaust, will find out later, didn't have time right now!!!

HHHAAAAAAAA!!!!! THE BITCH LIVES AGAIN!!!!!! She has only been parked for a year now, it is about time!