Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a battery isolator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My K20 was a factory 6.2 till I swapped it out for the 454. The 6.2 had dual batteries. They were directly conected to each other. When I did the 454, I just put one battery back in there on the passenger side. When the truck was a diesel, with a battery on the drivers side too, I had my amp for my sub wired to that battery. Now, with the battery on the passenger side, the power cable for the amp won't reach and I have no boom boom. :) lol

Anyways, my question is....(excuse my electrical ignorance) I want to install the other battery so I can rewire my amp...Can I wire the two batteries together like they were with the 6.2? Or do I need to get an isolator thingy? Both batteries are identicle, quality batteries and almost new. Alternator is a 140amp power master. This is my dd...no winch or lights or any other high draw stuff....The Sony 600 watt mono sub amp is about the only extra electrical thing I have. :crazy:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can wire it like before but both batteries will drain if you have a problem. The reason for an isolator is to "isolate" each battery when the ignition is off.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Cool.....Thx Scott. :)

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I would run one. Im guessing that when you are going to run your audio system off the spare battery and run the rest of ur truck off the main. An isoloater would be good because when you shut the truck down you can leave the radio on without worrying if your truck will start or not.