Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a bigger radiator for the big block?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak bandit, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I'm swapping out my stock 350 for a big block 396. Do I need to upgrade to a bigger radiator? If so, does anyone know of any cheap ones? What about radiator mounts for a bigger, non-stock radiator?
    Thanks...

2. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I got a 4 core from radiator.com when I did my swap a couple of years ago. It dropped right in and has kept it cool for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would get the 4 core. I also got mine from the link above. was only like 175. You will also need the top retainers or clamps, the longer ones. YOu can buy them from any of the online stores like www.chevyduty.com
    Cooling issues suck in the summer out on the trail so I would get the 4core.

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I went with a 4 core also for my swap, my 3 core didn't do to well with the 307 in the hot summer days so I know it wouldn't handle the 454.

I bought the 4 core hold downs top and bottom along with new rubber pads. Wasn't able to use the bottom rubber pads so just put a thin piece of rubber down there. Still have to tackle the shroud issue. That is if I ever have this truck running again /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess I'll be adding a new radiator to "the list". I'm definitely going to look into radiator.com, cant beat $175.
    Even though the summers average 60-75 here, it's probably still a good idea to upgrade...especially since the K5 sees a lot of mud. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Thanks for the replies...

6. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

ditto 4core!

7. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

I just stumbled on Steve’s vendor discount thread in the bloody knuckle and saw members get a 10% discount at radiation .com. I don’t remember what I paid for mine so that $175 may have the discount in there.

8. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I saw a post a couple days ago that Radiator.com has an e-bay store listing where someone got the same radiator for like $138 - awesome price.

9. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Cool! Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif