Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I Need a Brake Upgrade???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I recently changed the front and rear axels over to 3/4 ton running gear.( 10 bolt 8 lug/14 bolt ff rear)New brake shoes and pads front and rear with new wheel cyclinders in the rear. My problem is that the pedal feels weak now and I cannot no matter what I try make the wheels lock up and slide the tires. I have also put on a TBI to make it more offroad worthy and it has a little bit of a cam in it which causes a little less vaccum than I like. I have ordered a vaccum canister that I will be installing tonight to try to help matters. If this doesn't work what would suggest be my next option. Tire size if it matters is 36/14.5/16.5 on steel wheels with 4.10 gears. Thanks for all the info. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes again. Any air in the lines will cause a loss in stopping power. I should know, I still have some air in mine.. I need to get it powerbled.

My .02,
    John

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

If it doesn't improve after the re-bleed then try this..
    Take off the MC and right behind it is a (looks like a eng valve when you take it out..I forgot what it is called) and take that to your local pick n pull and get one of the same thing out of a 3/4 ton truck ...Make sure it has the same dia shank as the one you took out but it will have a bigger face and then swap that one in put the MC back on and the brakes should be better...Worth a shot,good luck
    A friend did that on his 70 and he had good brakes now... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Mudbug1979

I did a power bleed at our shop with a pneumatic brake bleeder and got all of the air out and completely flushed the system out. Still feels like there is a block of wood under the pedal when I push it though. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Then most likely you have a vacuum problem. Either the brake booster is bad or you have a leak somewhere.

Air in the lines gives a soft pedal feel. No vacuum is a hard pedal.

John

6. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem when did my 3/4 ton swap. It turns out that the back brakes were so far out of adjustment they were not even helping and a power bleed at the local shop and now have to be careful not to lock up the 36s

7. Mudbug1979

The back brakes seem to be adjusted fine. I can only move the parking brake about 4 or 5 clicks before the are extremely tight. It's driving me crazy because I have to start slowing down along way before I even get to a stop and heaven forbid someone pull out in front of me.

8. mkinnunen

mkinnunen Registered Member

I have the same problem and am really concerned about somebody cutting me off and then slam on the brakes, I'll run them over for sure.

9. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you just need more vacum (or a cam with less duration or some Rhodes lifters).

You could try and find a dual booster that will mate up as well.