Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a chip??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jun 8, 2005.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 350 tbi engine in my blazer. The engine was stock, but I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and some other fuel injection upgrades from cfm-tech. It runs good now. I am planning on adding an edelbrock performer intake and some headers. After those upgrades, am I going to have to get a custom chip? How much more hp would a chip give me? Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

In a nutshell... it depends

the computer on the 87-91 smallblocks does have some wider parameters than the big block...with the mods you describe you can get away with not doing a chip UNLESS you want it to run harder,,, but it will require premium gas so you dont get detonation...

I didnt do mine and I have almost the exact mods you describe on one of my 89s...Im leaving it alone

cam

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Change that to "should I do my own chips" and I say yes. :)

Even on a "stock" PROM you can get more power out with some good tuning, but aftermarket chips that aren't tested, scanned, re-burned, etc., aren't worth a thing.

You don't need to crank up timing (octane) to increase performance.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I didnt mean an off the shelf generic chip. I meant a custom chip from cfm-tech who factors in engine mods, tranny gear ratios, rear end gear ratios, etc. I guess if it will work without, then that should save me a bunch of money. If I do however decide to get a custom chip, how much hp would I gain from it? Thanks.
    -Harrison