Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a longer Driveshaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Mar 13, 2001.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

For you guys running a 6" lift, did you have to get your rear driveshaft lenghthened? I know it varies from truck to truck but will the stock shaft work if I lower the transfer case. My lift kit is just sitting in the garage and I just wanted to get everything straight before I start the installation. I found a guy selling a custom driveshaft built for a 6" lifted Blazer. He's going up to an 8", should I pick this one up?

Thanks, Rod

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Bud, the best way is to install the lift adn then see how far your shaft is lacking. The best way to measure is after you ahve the lift in and the truck on the ground, dis-connect the driveshaft from the rear end, and push the slip yoke end all the way in the t-case. Then you wanna pull a tape from the center of the u-joint at the slip yoke to the center of the pinion yoke where the aft u-joint will go. Then you need to subtract 1 inch from that. This is the correct length for your drive shaft.
    Now weather or not to buy the other guys shaft or not is up to you. If his is the same year as yours and had the same 6" lift your wanting to install then maybe.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMHO...
    4" without a new drive shaft is pushing it (you will likely dump it if you go off-road much). 6" is a definite new DS (I would go to a longer slip yoke even at 4"). Should you get the 6" DS? As always with used parts, "it depends". Find out how much a new one will cost, how much to lengthen yours and add a longer slip yoke, and if the 6" shaft is really (a) a shaft lengthened for a 6" Blazer lift and (b) has the longer slip yoke. Now, strictly speaking, if the shaft is sized properly, you would not *need* the longer yoke unless you plan on getting some serious axle droop going on but, to me, that is kinda the point. Anyway, with the DS angle caused by the 6" lift, axle movement is going to be translated into significant slip movement.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I totally agree that the best way is to put in the lift first and then measure. My reply was based on your assertion that you wanted it all setting ready to go. I should also have added (as ftn96 did) that not all 6" lifts are the same. Different lifts of the same rated size can lead to different ideal length for your DS.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Cool, Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll start the lift on Saturday then see how the length comes out. You'll probably be hearing from me agian. Any more info is welcome.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

One more thing. If you are starting on the lift Saturday, you still have time. Go to the store and buy some "PB BALSTER" and start soaking all those rusty bolts under your rig. Everything that you think you will need to take off for the lift.
    Soak them down every day till the lift install. TRUST ME!!!!!!!

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>