Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a longer e-brake cable?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85scottsdale, Feb 18, 2004.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" suspension lift on my 85 K10 and I disconnected the ebrake which has the single cable along the driver side and then splits to go to the seperate wheels. The passenger side cable was plenty long after the lift, but my driver side one I had to run over the spring and it was kind of tight. I'm worried about it breaking or something when flexed out. Can I get a longer cable for it, or will it be ok?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I made a drop bracket for it, well not a bracket just a spacer. The bracket that holds it up is held to the frame w/ 2 rivits. Drill/chisel/hammer/grind/beat them out. I used a sleeve out of a spring bushing cut in half. It is the metal sleeve that goes inside of a bushing. Anyway, run a bolt through the stock bracket, through the spacers, through the frame and put a nut on. Then your cable will be long enough. In this pic you can see the bracket.

3. 85scottsdale

I see what you did now, I could take the sleeves out of my old stock springs.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh, I cut mine in half, may be better if you either leave em full length or cut like a 1/4 off. So you use the piece that is 3/4 the length. I think the reason I cut was full length it put a kink in the cable.

5. 85scottsdale

I'll leave them full length and check it, and then cut it down some from there if needed.

6. 85scottsdale

Do you still have your stock cable routed beneath the spring like it was stock?

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Sure do. Off topic, but where is lewisville at? That closer to mountains or the beach or is it in the middle?

8. 85scottsdale

Its about 10 mins west from winston-salem. Kind of in the middle but close to the mountains.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

o ok, BowtieRed lives in winston salem i believe.