Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a new thermostat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MilpitasK5, Nov 21, 2003.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

When I warm up my junk in the morning, my temp. goes up to a bit over 210 then drops back down and is fine. I smell coolant for a second too.
    Is that my Thermostat getting sticky?

TIA /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very well could be id replace it and see you can get a 180 degree for around $3 and a new gasket for about $1 so it is a cheap fix and if it is not the problem at least for under $5 you know you have a new good thermostat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MilpitasK5

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Changed the thermostat and still doing the same thing. When cold, it warms up to over 210 and just goes back down.

What else could I check? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

It's likely just a funky gauge or buildup in the collant passages that's causing sierd readings until the temp completely stabilizes. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. MilpitasK5

[ QUOTE ]
    It's likely just a funky gauge or buildup in the collant passages that's causing sierd readings until the temp completely stabilizes. I wouldn't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That's what I like to hear! Now, $20 says that 4x4HIGH sees the post and replies with something horrifying! LOL
    Thanks Evan.

I was already planning on replacing my radiator or having mine boiled. Maybe that build up will go away if I have it done.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok Chris, here it comes. I obviously have seen this post and now I will tell you what I am pretty sure is going on. You said you smell coolant, check for coolant on the passenger side floorboard under the carpet. I bet your heater core is leaking and that is the coolant smell you are smelling. When you have a leak in the cooling system anywhere not only does it allow coolant to leak but it also allows air to enter the cooling system which becomes an air pocket that can get trapped and cause your gauge to not read correctly. So your fix is going to be for you to change out the leaky heater core and then purge the cooling system of any air pockets and both your problems will be fixed. There you have it, nothing too horrifying though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Dang, I totally missed the coolant smell part of the post. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its all about little details, you have to read the details. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok Chris, here it comes. I obviously have seen this post and now I will tell you what I am pretty sure is going on. You said you smell coolant, check for coolant on the passenger side floorboard under the carpet. I bet your heater core is leaking and that is the coolant smell you are smelling. When you have a leak in the cooling system anywhere not only does it allow coolant to leak but it also allows air to enter the cooling system which becomes an air pocket that can get trapped and cause your gauge to not read correctly. So your fix is going to be for you to change out the leaky heater core and then purge the cooling system of any air pockets and both your problems will be fixed. There you have it, nothing too horrifying though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] My first though was heater core when he said he could smell coolent.