Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i need a new tranny?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by KENNY, Jul 17, 2003.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

my new headache, clanks and clunks when i put it in drive and when it changes 1st to 2nd gear. the fluid is brownish.i was going to changethe fluid but was advised not to. don't know much about tranny's but this doesn't sound good to me. any tranny guys out there to advise what to expect from a mechanic. starting to think i got took here. bought from a body shop that my friend owns. paid 1900 for truck replaced motor now tranny bad. am i still ahead or did i overpay.92 blazer two door. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

What reason were you given to not change the fluid? Changing the fluid is more of a preventive measure than a repair, usually when a transmission problem develops it's too late to change the fluid. In your case I would want to change it, because I want to see what's laying in the bottom of the transmission pan, it will be an indicator of what you will find inside the tranny, if it just has a normal film of clutch residue at worst it needs freshened up , if the fluid smells burnt it indicates a problem, I've seen some very brown colored fluid that when the tranny was torn down it was worn but still had miles left on the clutches and band, the burnt smell indicates slipping and overheated parts. If the oil has a very metallic appearance and there are pieces of metal in the bottom of the pan it's time to get it out and repaired before it leaves you sitting somewhere. If you drop the pan and don't find any thing alarming check the rest of the driveline, clunking as you describe can be caused by other driveline items, u-joints, differentials, etc.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Go ahead and Build a Turbo 350 tranny for 500 well you could prob do it for less but the one in the 4x4 was like this: 75 tranny w/hard parts all good or they will give you goods for free, shift kit, Redline race clutch's, heavy duty sprag, B&M Deep tranny pan, 2 case's of ATF Dex.3, 700R4 to Turbo350 swap kit, Draco 2300-2500 stall total was around 600 something with the stall converter. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

u-joints. and springs. that's what the noise was the u joints were worn and the rear spring hangars were bad. tranny good condition. still have to change fluid though. thanks for the response /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif