Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do I need a swaybar? where to get brakeline extensions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, May 15, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I have a 1985 chevy 3/4 ton. I just installed a 6" trailmaster lift kit, 35" pro comp mud terrains on 16x10 mickey thompson classics. The kit came with two brackets to lower the front swaybar. I didn't use the brackets, i used the original ones. Do I need to lower the swaybar? Can I just take it off? Also my brake lines aren't long enough. I cut the original brackets off. I pulled the slack out of the lines and gained the 6" i needed. I am going to rig up some sort of new brackets to hold the lines in place. Where can I get brakeline extensions cheap? I would rather run those than risk breaking a brake line if it gets caught on my tire.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4" lift with no swaybar. It does lean a little more in the corners...but nothing objectionable. Flexes a lot better offroad too. If you want to keep the swaybar you can get disconnects from ORD which will keep it from binding and allow you to disconnect it for trail duty.

You can get stainless brakelines made up at a local speed shop for less than what off the shelf ones cost. There won't be a problem with them getting caught on the tire. You could always zip tie it to the shock if you were really concerned.

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

do you drive on the road? then yes you need a swaybar, especially if you go fast (faster than 25!) also you should drop your sway bar. by using the original brackets it is going to put bad angles on it. dropping it allows for better angles. you should get the quick disconnects from ORD that way you can disconnect when off road and connect when on road. best of both worlds

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" lift in mine. A swaybar relocation isn't necessary for a 4" lift, but when I installed the disconnect kit, the sway leveled out again like it would look stock. If I were you, I'd install the relocation kit and get a swaybar disconnect kit. That will make the sway bar sit just about level again, and you'll be able to wheel and flex, and have good handling on the road.