Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need a tranny cooler???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickstegeman, May 31, 2003.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

I am in the process of building my 85. I am putting a 6 inch Superlift on and upgrading from 33" to 35" tires. I have no idea what gears are in the 10 bolts, but I can not afford to upgrade to the 4:56 right now. Should I get a tranny cooler as a little insurance until I can replace the gears??? She is my daily driver and only goes offroad on weekends. What do ya'll think /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If asked, I'll always suggest to someone that they install a tranny cooler. They're cheap, easy to install, and good insurance against over-heating...a tranny's leading killer.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Summit and 4 wheel parts wholesalers have the TCI tranny pans, they will hold 2 extra quarts of fluid and get rid of heat better since they are ribbed aluminun, one for my 700r4 is $120 so its pretty cheap and easy to instal

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i didn't even read you post and the answer is yes. the biggest you can find.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

With out a single doubt YES.
    For the love of god YES!!!

Put the biggest one on you can get ahold of.

The stacked plate type are better than the fin and tube tyep.

B&M makes soem nice stacked plate ones and you can get them form summit for a good price. Get the largest one with the install kit (or the biggest one if you want to flair some new lines and buy some adapters).

I was running 36" tires and 3.73 gears and almost burnt my truck down because of it.

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I would not recomend a Aluminun tranny pan Due to the fact that its an offroad truck and if you ever bottom out on something or whatever hits it and it doesnt Dent but cracks. A B&M tranny pan thats chrome pan just cuz if you dent it you can bend it back out. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am in the process of building my 85. I am putting a 6 inch Superlift on and upgrading from 33" to 35" tires. I have no idea what gears are in the 10 bolts, but I can not afford to upgrade to the 4:56 right now. Should I get a tranny cooler as a little insurance until I can replace the gears??? She is my daily driver and only goes offroad on weekends. What do ya'll think /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can afford to rebuild the tranny? If you don't do the gears right not that's what going to happen...you will fry the tranny...PERIOD. It can't handle the 35's if it has 3.08 gears.

Yes get the biggest cooler you can. I recomed the Hayden or B&M stack plate. you can get the Hayden at Pepboys for about $60 for everything you will need. It will delay the rebuild some but that day is coming with oversized tires without correcting the gears. For the record I would look for some 3/4 ton axles. Or at least a SF 14 6 lug rear if you are partial to the rims you have. 4.56 would be a good gear for the 35's and 700R4

8. nickstegeman

Thanks for the advice. It seems pretty clear now!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif How hard is it to install, and approx. how long will it take to do??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u have a 700r4, u need a cooler... even with stock equipment....

j

10. nickstegeman

I bought a B&M 24000 GVW transmission cooler. Do ya'll think that is big enough??? How hard are they to install????

thanks
    ns

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's a good size.

Here's how to install:
    1) Take apart grill
    2) Disconnect the top tranny cooler line coming into the radiator just below the radiator cap
    3) Slide that flare nut down the line a ways as you won't be using it now
    4) Install the supplied fitting into the opening that now exists in your radiator
    5) Mount the tranny cooler (preferrably with brackets, but you can use the plastic ties supplied in the kit)
    6) Take rubber hose, attach to the disconnected tranny fluid line with a hose clamp, then route through radiator support, cut to proper length, and attach to one of the outlets on the tranny cooler with a hose clamp
    7) Take other section of hose, attach to the fitting in the upper hole of the radiator with hose clamp, route through to cooler, attach to other outlet on tranny cooler with hose clamp
    8) Dump about 1/4 quart of ATF down filler tube, start truck, check for leaks, check fluid level, check for leaks again, shut off truck
    9) Check hose clamp tightness again before assembling grill (The rubber of the hose should be squashed enough so that it's bulging through the holes in the hose clamp just enough to be flush with the hose clamp surface)
    10) Assemble grill, drive truck, and listen to your tranny saying, "thank you"

Hope that helped. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

On a side note, out of my curiosity, does anyone know what kind of PSI is running through those cooler lines? Thanks.

12. nickstegeman

Thanks a million for your help!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't know the exact number, but I'd be really surprised if it was more than 80psi.