Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i need a vacuum

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Jan 22, 2007.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

so my vacuum pump is leaking a crazy ammount of oil. my question is do i need the vacuum pump? i would love to just get rid of it and all the vacuum lines. this engine is in a 83k5 with the 6.2ltr diesel

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what type of engine is this?

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That'd be a diesel, probally a 6.2

If you've got a 700r4, it won't care if there is no vaccum, but I'm not sure how it'd affect the various emissions systems...

4. general blaze

6.2 diesel

sorry

5. general blaze

i dont care about emmissions. my ac does has been converted to a air pump. my auto hubs have been switched to warn. and i my cruz control dont work. is there any reason i cant just pull the vacuum pump out and cover the hole with a block off plate...

thanks for the help

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only problem is that if you just don't put vaccum onto the emissions systems, it may cause problems. Best way to find out is to just unhook the vac lines, and see if anything happens...

7. general blaze

i disconnected the lines but nothing happend. i did not drive the truck. just unhooked it and the idle did not even change. has anyone tried this before

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

One question about the 6.2/6.5. Does the vacume pump run the oil pump? If so you will need to replace it with an adapter to turn the pump. I know some of them don't have pumps, so I'm sure that either the adaptors are readily availible or the pump doesn't drive the pump. Which is it?

9. general blaze

that is what i am trying to find out. if anyone can help me out and let me know before this weekend i would be greatfull. the new vacuum pump is like 200 some dollars. i would much rather just remove it.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not sure...

I've never had my vacuum pump off the engine on my 6.2,(or any others)..so I am not certain if the vacuum pump drives the oil pump,or if its the oil pump that drives the vacuum pump!...I'd guess its the oil pump that drives the vacuum pump,since GM just blocked off the hole in the block with a freeze plug on motors that dont need a vacuum pump..but that is just a guess...it might have a "dummy" shaft in there if no vacuum pump is used??...

tRustyK5 and Colbystevens here have had their motors all torn down,and would probably know the answer to your question..but unless you can post up in the "Diesel" forum,they might not read your post here in the garage..maybe PM them??..:crazy:

11. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I looked in my GM truck service manual. The vacuum pump DOES drive the oil pump, just like the dizzy does in SBC's and BBC's. They do make an oil pump druve for apps without the vacuum pump. but I don't know what the part # is. Hope that helps :smile1: