Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

do i need crossover?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, May 30, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I already did a search and looked at it but i still cant decide. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif also im confused between hysteer which i dont think i will have enough lift for, and crossover.

WHEN I get home i am restarting my frame up and will have 6" of lift and 35 - 37" tires on 15 x 10.

i will either go true 6" spring or

4" spring shackle flip 1" zero rates and 1" bodylift and of course new mounts.

the latter being the most likely. i am also gonna put in a full cage. probably not tied to the frame until later. i want it safe. my daughter will be born in august and definatley be a passenger. with 6" of lift she (blazer) will probably walk all over the road. will dual steering stabilizers be enought to stop this or will i need to do crossover. I know that greg and many others here which i trust swear by it, i just see my baby blossiming before me in green $$$$$$$$$$$$. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i also know you cant put a price on safety.

I am also confused as to what parts i can scrounge before i have to start buying. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I currently have

6 and 8 lug dana 44 (8 going in soon)
    axels are complete tie rods steering and all

69 ps box and a 72 ps box (both 4wd)
    84 ps box (2wd)
    how hard are these to rebuild? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

the knuckles are both flat top and need 5/8 studs added. (how much is this?) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Someone mentioned using jeep sterring arms?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sorry its long and thanks for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

nathan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Nathan,

Are you having any problems with the stock setup?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, it's just that crossover is an expensive deal (highsteer is even MORE!) so if you don't have an urgent NEED for it.....I'd wait, especially if the plan is to eventually go to a D60 front. You don't want to pay for crossover twice (or nearly so) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

FWIW -> I am running crossover steering on a 4" lift and it works great. I don't know at what point the raised steering block becomes necessary (6+" of lift?)....my steering arm bolts straight to the knuckle and has never hit the springs when wheeling.....

If you've got lots of bumpsteer already, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd say install the lift and evaluate whether you can do well enough with the dropped pitman arms/s-shaped draglinks/raised steering arm combos......usually SOME combination of those items can make even a lifted K5 drive pretty nicely.

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

What kind of wheeling do you do? I have a 6" lift and did fine with a raised steering arm until I started running a few twisty trails which crossed up the axles. Crossover is on the top of my list now.

FWIW, I didn't have serious bumpsteer issues, then again my steering system has always been ... loose, to understate it. It's the lack of steerinag ability when the springs are flexing that prompts me to go to it.

Greg .. you have a PM coming ...

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

greg

with the stock set up and 33's now it walks all over the road if unless its perfectly flat. Louisiana roads suck!!! i am not currently planning on going to a d60 front. the kind of wheeling i do is just in mud and I wont necesarily need the gears that low. I was just trying to do this from the ground up w/ little or no backtracking. i just wasnt sure that all new ball joints, body mounts, steering stabilizer, ect. would help eliminate it enough.

Chris t

all of my playing is just in the mud and water ususally not over the headlights. if my axel flexs its b/c i have to cross a log or stump. nothing like what the rockcrawlers do. So i wasnt really sure if i would need it b/c I dont really get the "axels crossed up". I just want to loose the bumpsteer.

Most likely i will do what greg said and just do everything else first. it wouldnt require that much disassembly to change it later, and i definatley want it back on the road. just wanted to get some opinions.

thanks to both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JimmyUp

JimmyUp Registered Member

Hello Nathan,

I recently had to make the same decisions regarding crossover steering. However, I learned the hard way. I had terrible bumpsteer after going from a 4-inch suspension lift to a 6-inch kit. I'll spare you all of the details but YES, if driveability and safety are important to you than crossover sterring is a must with anything over a 6-inch suspension kit. That is, in my opinion. Read my thread later down the line from a few days ago that discusses this very topic.

In closing, crossover steering is all that...!

Regards,
    Scott

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

scott,

thanks for the reply. i am gonna continue with my build up and just see how much bumpsteer i can fix as i go. i will no doubt eventually put it on, so for now i will just keep collecting parts here and there. ill check out your thread.

thanks again
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    nathan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. JimmyUp

Nathan,

Good luck with your suspension build up. Also, if you happen to need a drop pitman-arm, a raised steering-arm, an adjustable draglink, or a sway bar let me know. i went this route with all new steering components before I ended up going with crossover steering.

Regards,
    Scott

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Scott,

I appreciate the politeness and the offer. when i get home from military duty i may look you up for those parts. we will just have to see if the money gets there before my patience runs out and i try it w/o the crossover. Why didnt you reinstall the swaybar? I thought it would still need it.

thanks

nathan

9. druehlman

druehlman Registered Member

All right hear we go....

Nathan,

As others have suggested crossover steering is indeed ann improvement, but I'm not sure you need it for your useage. I have a '72 Jimmy with a 4" Skyjacker soft ride springs all the way around and have very little problems that would call for crossover "Yet". However, my Jimmy wandered alot when I bought it before I put the lift on it, for several reasons 1) it has no sway bar, 2) almost all the ball joints, drag arms, tie rod ends were going out. So I would start by checking those out. After I had those problems solved the wandering had improved but I still had some bump steer, so i added the Skyjacker dual steering stabalizer kit for about $95 and that helped tremendously.

Oops starting to ramble...

Long story short if you ad the raised steering arm and don't do alot of rock climbing with extreme articulation you probably dont need x-over steering, maybe only a few mods to the existing components.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Dave Jr /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. JimmyUp

Nathan,

The front sway-bar I had simply would not fit with the crossover steering unit in place. Furthermore, I have a PTO winch on the front and shaft also really limits the room I have up front. What I will end up doing is fabbing some track-bars.

Best of luck and from the sounds of it you are in the military. Thanks for serving our coutry....!

Regards,
    Scott /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

dave jr.

my blazer also has all the listed dead, shot, and or missing parts. I am gonna replace all that per yours and others sugestions. if it doesnt improve the handling i'll do crossover. which means i can turn around and sell some parts to help pay for it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jimmy up,

thanks for the reply. i had a friend who swapped to coils in the front and used some track bars he stole off a john dee tractor. might work for you to.

Thanks to both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif