Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need Hydro-Assit Steering?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kev, Mar 11, 2005.

1. k5kev

k5kev Registered Member

Getting ready to purchase a crossover steering kit from ORD, and am not sure if I should do the hydro-assist at the same time. If I'm going to do it I want to do it all once. I'm thinking I don't really need it but I'm looking for some ;) expert :p: advice. Here's my specs:

72 K5, Dana 60 front, 4" Tuff Country w/ 1"zero rates, 35x12.5x15 BFG Muds.

Not a daily driver, weekend cruiser, mild to medium offroad, no hardcore rockcrawling. Probably will never go higher on the lift or bigger tires, since it just barely clears the garage door now.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you never learn the meaning of the words "death wobble" firsthand....your answer is no.

Some people with D60s never seem to have problems....other's fight it constantly. My suggestion would be to run without the hydro-assist and see what happens. It's not as if buying it now really changes any of the parts you'll need.

:deal:

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

my recomendation, granted I'm only running 3/4 ton stuff, make sure your ps pump is strong and your box and steering shaft is strong. I've got my ported and tapped ready for it in case I decide I need it. It's a lot easier to just install a ram and hoses then a whole deal later on.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say you don't NEED it. with 35's and mild to medium wheeling you might be alright.. do you get into situations where you are fighting the steering wheel and it just wont turn for you?
    You said you stay out of the rocks.. besides covering up the deathwobble, playing in the rocks was my main reason for going hydro assist. when your wedged in the rocks the ram makes a hell of a difference. Even on twisty trails its very nice to have..
    But like greg said, when i put in my D60 i drove for the first few weeks without a steering stabilizer or hydro ram just to make sure it didn't have death wobble... after about 6,000 miles i started getting deathwobble.