Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need new caliper bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74kay5, Sep 26, 2006.

1. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

I posted a thread a little while ago about the El Dorado calipers that I used for my 14 bolt FF disc swap. Well here's where I'm at. I got the steel braided lines from ORD that are suposed to be used for rear disc swaps and they came with new hydro screws. The pitch and length is the same as the Caddie ones but on the El dorado calipers there is a block where instead of a flex line, a hard line attaches with a flare nut. The flex line fitting can go on there with the screws provided but they are too long. The block that went on there is larger so the threads only go in so far with the new flex line fitting, then bottom out. I took the screws to a grinder so they wouldn't bottom out and then installed them into the calipers but now I'm having trouble bleeding. So now that I think about it my question is, do those screws need to be 100% flush at the tips when they screw in and by grinding them to random lengths are they going to provide pressure like they should or does it not matter as long as there is no leaks at the crush rings???:confused:

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

as long as you did not block the hole in the banjo bolt and you are not leaking at the copper washers you are fine, where did you postion the bleeder screws? The rear brakes can take a while to bleed some times if you let a lot of fluid drain out, try either a pressure bleader or a hand pump to speed up the process

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Your problem with bleeding is because the caliper is at an angle. Make sure the bleeder screw is up, if not the clapiers are on the wrong side. I had to pull the caliper off the mount and drop it down until it was level while the pads were still between the rotor. I held it and bled it at the same time. I finally got the air out of the lines. Make sure the caliper is still over the rotor or you might pop the pistons out or have the pads touch another. I hope you understand.

4. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah I read you loud and clear. I've shot enough pistons out from being completly brainless to know that they always need to on a rotor. It's so habitual for me to put my foot over the brake when I get inside the truck I do it without thinking about it. And I was bleeding them with the caliper at a funny angle because all the pictures I saw online of the eldo calipers mounted were of them with the bleeder screw on the downside and e-brake bracket on the up side for ground clearance. I'm going to flip them though. I can deal with the 2 inches of clearance for an eaiser bleeding process.