Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do I need to change my 350 Chevy to a 454?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cameron/82Jimmy, May 6, 2000.

1. Cameron/82Jimmy

Cameron/82Jimmy Registered Member

I have currently a 350, has problems with hesitating, oil leaking, just overall crap. I have replaced the cam 3 times now. Should I change to a 454???????????????????? I really like the sound and the look.

Cameron Burnett
    1982 Jimmy 4x4

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Why have you replaced the cam 3 times? Have you or a shop diagnosed it with the cam being the problem? The leaks can be fixed easily. The 350 is a very good engine and it sounds like yours might need some attention. But I wouldnt dump it right away.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you don't mind spending the extra cash on gas and paying more for heads, etc., switching to a big block is a good option. A BB will give you more grunt, more overall power, and a longer lifespan. But to answer the question of "Do I need to", it all depends what you use your truck for and how much you want to spend. You can pick up a GM crate 350 for a lot less than a 454. Waxer has a point, too. Maybe your motor is fine and just needs some TLC. And I don't quite understand the cam thing. Were the lobes wearing out? Maybe it's just your heads.

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

When you changed the cam did you change the bearings.You need to.And did you change lifters.You probably should.Because once broken in, the cam and lifters become matched.That means you shouldn't move lifters around to different lobes either when you remove them they should go back too there original spot.

5. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

First let me say that the 454 is a great joy. It is the way I went with my choice and I will never go back to the smaller engines in a truck - BUT - You have quite a bit to take into account when going the BB way.
    Weight - The suspension will have to be reworked in the front to compensate for that heavy nose.
    Cooling - BB's need very good cooling systems or they will be hot running mothers.
    Tyres - That heavy nose changes the lifespan of your front rubber on the tar somewhat.
    Drivetrain - In this department you WILL have to upgrade to the mayor league. No 10 bolts and other tickey-tackey hardware will last down there.

Canmore,s advice is a mirror of my opinion. Take note that nothing you have can not be fixed - exept maybe that one remark "overall crap". That spells: "I have allready set my sights on the 454" and if that's the case nothing in the world will make that 350 perform to you satisfaction ever again. hahahahaha - welcome to the club!

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

6. Cameron/82Jimmy

Cameron/82Jimmy Registered Member

Cam Story

It ruins them about once a year. The shop, friends and everyone else can't understand it either. Just pay 300 for a new cam and it works great. The old ones look like they have been through hell and back. Bearings are the worst though

Cameron Burnett
    1982 Jimmy 4x4

7. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Yes, you should definitely put a 454 in your truck. You must also send me the 350 ASAP, for free, because I'm a nice guy.

Phil
    82K5

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the shop you go to need to go back to school, your case need to be line bored or somewhere along that line, that means a complete tear down or its the fact that theyre pressing the bearings in crooked,find a different shop.

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

In my case, I would definitely love to get a big block (454 or 502), but I think I never will. Even If I have the money. I will simply rebuild my 350, maybe stroke it to 383, get some good cylinder heads, and spend the rest of the money on the rest of the truck.

You avoid all the hassle of changing susp, engine mounts, accesories brackets, cooling, etc. Just think all the time you'd have to give up your Blazer while you get the swap done.

In my opinion, a beefed up small block is plenty for a 6000 Blazer, unless you are worried about doing 9sec on the strip or you have a ricer in your neighborhood that you want to humilliate[​IMG].

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]